• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 Questions

wyrdvans

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine bought a Chrysler 8.25 with 4.10s from a junkyard and when he got it home and popped open the diff, he found some water. How bad is a little rust on some of the ring gear teeth? When trying to spin the pinion, it seems to stick at times.

Also, if the carrier is removed for inspection purposes, is it necessary to setup the gears again?

i would hit the ring gears with a wire brush and try to remove the rust and just make sure its only on the surface.

and you will need to set up the gears again and check your pattern bc the 8.25 doesnt use shims all the way around

Removing the carrier won't change the pinion depth and that's the tricky part of the gear set up.

But you will have to set your backlash using the side adjuster nuts that are under the carrier caps.

That requires a tool, it's a long rod with a hex on the end that fits inside the nut, it is fed thru the tubes and into the nut so that you can turn them.

Besides adjusting the backlash, they both need to be torqued to about 90 ft lbs for good carrier bearing preload.

The small amount of rust won't hurt any thing, just clean it off so you are accurately measuring backlash.

And as the poster above said, it's a good idea to run the pattern to confirm that the pinion depth is o/k.

You can make the tool yourself with a long piece of steel conduit, a bolt and a welder. Pretty straight forward.

Oh yeah, and something squeals when you get the pinion spinning. Bad bearing? The carrier hasn't been removed yet so that is still in it's original state.

I use one I made out of an old Toyota tortion bar
Dsc03276.jpg

Dsc03277.jpg

Dsc03280.jpg

Back