• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's this part?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What is the part called that the brake caliper bolts onto? While reattaching my brakes after installing my lift springs, i cross threaded the top bolt and it ruined the bolt and the other part i believe. Is there any chance of drilling and tapping it or will i need to get a new one?

Dealership. There maybe some at Kragen's on the 'Help" or "Autoaide" bubble packs, but that involves a lot of looking and comparing. If you know someone local in the club, they may have 1 or 2 or 1/2 dozen in their bolt bin.

I would not drill and re-tap. Get the correct size tap, dia x TPI and attempt to clean up the threads, start the tap from the opposite side (so from the outside looking inboard) that would be where the threads are probably in better condition. They may just be buggered up and not actualy stripped. If that fails get a heli-coil kit and repair that way. Then you can still use the stock i.e. correct size bolt.

Good luck,
Tom

Boatwrench said:
Dealership. There maybe some at Kragen's on the 'Help" or "Autoaide" bubble packs, but that involves a lot of looking and comparing. If you know someone local in the club, they may have 1 or 2 or 1/2 dozen in their bolt bin.

I would not drill and re-tap. Get the correct size tap, dia x TPI and attempt to clean up the threads, start the tap from the opposite side (so from the outside looking inboard) that would be where the threads are probably in better condition. They may just be buggered up and not actualy stripped. If that fails get a heli-coil kit and repair that way. Then you can still use the stock i.e. correct size bolt.

Good luck,
Tom
x2 like I said try fixing threads first

anyone know what the measurements are on the threads, or what tap to use? I have a few in my tools, but have never had the need to use em, so I'm not too familiar with them.

I had the same problem, I'd highly suggest not drilling and tapping.

If you have stripped the threads badly enough, in order to tap new threads that will have enough metal to hold, you'll have to go to a bolt that's shank is too big to fit through your caliper sleeve (at least that was the boat I was in).

I tried to repair the threads with the tap but no luck, so in the end I just cross threaded a bolt that was marginally larger into the remains of the threads (interference fit, yeah that's the ticket) to hold it until I bother getting a helicoil kit (next time I do brakes).

The bolt is harder than the bracket so you most likely ripped the brackets threads and the bolt is fine. Take the bolt to the autostore and ask them for a helicoil kit.

Get a Helicoil thread repair kit. It is an oversize drill and tap with a thread insert. When you are done, the treads are actually stronger then before because the thread insert is hardened. They are low cost, simply to do and they work. They are sized by normal bolt sizes so you can reuse the stock bolt and keep the same bolt size as the others on your Jeep.

I have used them on stripped out oil pan and transmission pan bolts with very good success. We also use them at work on the machinery out in the plant.

Back