• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end alignment

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
this is kinda a dumb question but: do i need a front end alignment after i put my 2" BB on? (coil spring spacers up front) somebody told me that i do, but do i really? im going ot be rolling on 235/75R15's by the way. i don't want to ruin my tires because they're really nice. any help would be great. :dunno:

did you notice your steering wheel being off center?

yes, you'll need an alignment...right now you're most likely toed in a bit too much, and if you are worried about your tires wearing uneven, then you better get an alignment...

sorry that was a little misleading. i don't have the BB on it yet. i just wanted to know before hand.

ah..okay....well, then you WILL notice your steering wheel is off center and you WILL be slightly toed in :) :) :)

Definitely.

The change from stock to 5" changed my toe in to almost 2", WAY outside acceptable range (something like -.05-+.25")

It chewed a pair of old 33x12.50 ats in less than 2 months, completely. During that time I was replacing balljoints and TREs and was gonna do the alignment "when I got around to it." Do it right away, its worth it.

How long you plan on keeping your rig?

I bought mine new in '98, and I purchased a lifetime alignment service for $129 back then from Expert Tire (Firestone subsidarary). The service agreement came with no limits on how many times during the course of a year I can take it in either.

As I've altered my rig over the years, and messed around with the front end, I've taken in for a "free" alignment. It was really handy when I was messing with new contral arms in the early years, and I was trying to dial in caster.

Even now when I do some harder wheeling and I know I've beat up the front end some, I take in to get things check out.

Really convinient too because the place is just a few blocks from work. I can drop it off in the morning before work, then pick it up at lunch time. I can definately say I got my moneys worth out of my life time alignment, and I plan to keep my XJ for at least 10 more years. I just hope the place is still in business then....

Ivan said:
How long you plan on keeping your rig?

I bought mine new in '98, and I purchased a lifetime alignment service for $129 back then from Expert Tire (Firestone subsidarary). The service agreement came with no limits on how many times during the course of a year I can take it in either.

As I've altered my rig over the years, and messed around with the front end, I've taken in for a "free" alignment. It was really handy when I was messing with new contral arms in the early years, and I was trying to dial in caster.

Even now when I do some harder wheeling and I know I've beat up the front end some, I take in to get things check out.

Really convinient too because the place is just a few blocks from work. I can drop it off in the morning before work, then pick it up at lunch time. I can definately say I got my moneys worth out of my life time alignment, and I plan to keep my XJ for at least 10 more years. I just hope the place is still in business then....

well, i plan on having it for a long time. that's a great idea about the lifetime alignment. i was getting a little worried at first because i thought that an alignment costs something like $300-$400. but $130 isn't bad at all. thanks for your input Ivan. I appreciate it. :D

you should be able to get a SINGLE alignment for $40-50 from a good place....just be careful of the places that want to rip you off and charge you extra b/c your rig is "modified". Dont let them swindle you, its no more difficult to align your rig....they just look for ways to rip people off...

Learning how to adjust your toe in, center your axle & steering wheel, through adjusting your tie rod, track bar & drag link are very simple adjustments. Its fairly straight forward & a handy skill to posess. You only need a few tools & tape measure.
There are many posts & articles about wheel alignments..... do some searching & learn. Then you can save your cash for some other things:yelclap:

If you're lucky, you'll find a place like the shop where I go.

The beadguard on my bfgs was keeping their alignment heads from fitting on my junk so they had the 4x4 shop down the street run them some wheels & 33x12.50 ats just so they could align it. I had to wait a little while longer but it was still out the door for $50 and its awfully nice to hear that you're being taken care of instead of treated like a lifted leper.

Following your lift (less than 2-3 inches) an alignment is mandatory. You may also want to put up to a quarter inch thick "shim" at the back of your LCA to bring the axle back closer to stock. That leaves you with aligning the toe-in of your front end and not much more. Using a tape measure and GO Jeeps instructions, your alignment will take you maybe ten minutes. But then that would take that $75 away from some deserving mechanic who has bills and debt and such. But then, so do I. And ten minutes I've got plenty of.

x3 on the DIY Alignment, maybe one of the easiest things I do regularly on my jeep. The mystery of aligning a cherokee will dissapear after you try it once. Then you'll kick yourself for ever paying anyone to do it with an alignment rack. Then you'll kick yourself for wearing out those tires prematurely.

Tape measure ................ $4.00
Magnetic Angle finder....... $9.00
Scrap Metal shims............$0.25 (cost of effort)
Twenty minutes on the Internet reading the how to's...... $0.10 (cost of electricity)

Forever driving by alignment shops and laughing..... priceless.

I love learning stuff on this site!!!!

For what it's worth, i just did a 1.75" bb up front. My toe in was exactly 1/8 before and 1/2" afterwards so an alignment is definately needed.

Back