• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 questions on gas and milage???

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 with an RE 5.5 and 33" x terrains. my first question is if it is possible that my truck gets worse milage at 1/4 or 1/8 a tank and under. it may be the guage i do have a bagel sized dent in my tank but it seems like the needle moves faster with less gas in the tank. The second question is this.....I am doing a 900+ mile trip and the gas is gonna kill me. im puttng my old 31' tires back on to save on some gas how much better do you think this will make the MPG they are 31x10.5 as road tires as opposed to 33x12.5 x terrains? what i wanted to know it is there is an additive i can put in my tank to help with the $$$$$ for gas i dont know about that stuff so prices and and how much i could save on a long trip would be helpfull?????

ive heard that if you have less gas in your tank the rest can evaporate quicker, and their is no secret additive for better mileage, but try a fuel system cleaner and new air filter if your old one is dirty

On a long haul drive (assuming highway speeds) like that I wonder if you will see any mileage difference between a 31 and a 33.

900 miles, your talking like 4-5 tanks of gas. Even if you did everything you could to improve mileage, you might be lucky to save a few gallons of gas.

Make sure you are tuned up and running good, check your tire pressure and go.

first off your milage doesnt change as the tank empties.. it is just how the sender registeres the reading and how fast the float falls.. you still travel the same distance on a tank of gas.
second, what gears are in your axles and what transmission?? if you have deep gears (as you should have running 33s) going to 31s might not do anything besides run you at a higher RPM range.. if you are running stock gears the 31s will do a little better.. do not be afriad to run a 4.0L at 3000+ RPM. the engine loves to breathe deep...

sidriptide said:
... do not be afriad to run a 4.0L at 3000+ RPM. the engine loves to breathe deep...
x2
if you are on 33s w/stock gears don't use overdrive unless you are going downhill and you'll be golden.
I've found that if you lug the 4.0 too hard it'll burn way more gas than letting it work the powerband at ~2700-3300 rpm

Watch your speed. I went on a 800 mile trip to MD. It was about 350 miles when I filled up it only took 14 gallons. I averaged about 25 mpg. Thats pretty good for a XJ with 218k miles.

kenny schmitt said:
I have a 96 with an RE 5.5 and 33" x terrains. my first question is if it is possible that my truck gets worse milage at 1/4 or 1/8 a tank and under. it may be the guage i do have a bagel sized dent in my tank but it seems like the needle moves faster with less gas in the tank. The second question is this.....I am doing a 900+ mile trip and the gas is gonna kill me. im puttng my old 31' tires back on to save on some gas how much better do you think this will make the MPG they are 31x10.5 as road tires as opposed to 33x12.5 x terrains? what i wanted to know it is there is an additive i can put in my tank to help with the $$$$$ for gas i dont know about that stuff so prices and and how much i could save on a long trip would be helpfull?????

i heard that your gas goes faster when it's under half a tank. idk if it's true or not

Back