• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Intake Manifold recall

Black Magic XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone think this could be a contributor to the notorious cracking heads on these XJs? Mine cracked between 3 and 4. Found this doing a crank position sensor search on google of all things.

2000 JEEP CHEROKEE Recall ID from NHTSA: 02V104000
Auto Recall Date: 20020408
Vehicle Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:INJECTORS
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 1115322
2000 JEEP CHEROKEE Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE ONLY, THE DESIGN OF THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST MANIFOLDS COULD ALLOW DEBRIS TO ACCUMULATE AT THE #3 CYLINDER LOCATION.
Defect Consequence:
THIS COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A MANIFOLD SHIELD TO MODIFY THE AIR FLOW CHARACTERISTICS AND TO PREVENT THE ACCUMULATION OF DEBRIS IN THE AREA OF THE #3 CYLINDER. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 13, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION, B06

If debris on the intake caught on fire, it would cause a lot of damage, but probably not crack the head.

When I took mine in they put an aluminum/fiber heat shield over the intake manifold. All it does is keep leaves, twigs, grease, etc... from building up on top of the intake and catching on fire.

Curious. I presume they're referring to debris collecting on top of the manifold, on the surface of the manifold and head? That could cause a "hot spot" in the casting - it would be interesting to compare the location of the crack with the location of the debris collection (and what sort of debris - not all debris is an effective insulator of heat...)

Slo-Sho said:
Absolutely not.

Might one enquire as to why "absolutely not?"

I'll admit I'm thinking it's rather unlikely, but I've seen too much strange stuff happen to just automatically say "That's impossible." My reaction to "that's impossible" is usually that there are then at least two ways to do it - and I've not been wrong about that yet (I can almost always find at least one, and often both. And, I'm probably missing something.)

5-90 said:

Because the debris collect on the intake manifold and the cracks are in the cylinder head. Other than being next to each other under the hood there is no cause and effect sort of thing going on.

5-90 said:

The recall that the original poster was referring to is the small 'pocket area' between the #3 & #4 cylinder runners. This area does collect dust and dirt, so it could also very well collect flammable material under certain circumstances. He then asked if it contributed to cracking of the cylinder head, to which my reply was forthcoming as stated above. I will not, and cannot fathom in good conscience that dust and dirt and other 'debris' collecting on the intake manifold will cause the cylinder head to crack. Although I have no empirical data to support my statement, my own common sense tells me this is so.

5-90 said:
I'll admit I'm thinking it's rather unlikely, but I've seen too much strange stuff happen to just automatically say "That's impossible." My reaction to "that's impossible" is usually that there are then at least two ways to do it - and I've not been wrong about that yet (I can almost always find at least one, and often both. And, I'm probably missing something.)

I am simply at a loss for words to that statement.

When I received the notification of the recall, I thought that was the most stupid, idiotic recall I'd ever heard of. How on earth is there ever going to be "Debris buildup" on an intake manifold. I refused to waste my time and I haven't regretted it.

I've wheeld in fields, forests, mud, rock and sand and have not had any debris (including mud) collect on or around my intake manifold.

All I could think of with that recall was that some fool left his hood open under a tree in the fall or something just as dumb to cause the problem.

I still think it was an absurd recall.

And I have to agree with Slo-Sho since I've replaced my 0331. Not possible.

Last edited:
Well, the intake is aluminum. Aluminum doesn't like dust or anything else on it as it can cause temperature differences in the material. It is unlikely that the "debris" would cause such extreme temp differences that a failure would be caused of some kind, but I would have to say it is within the realm of possibility. Every newer engine with aluminum heads, blocks, etc. comes with a dust cover to prevent buildup and deformation of the castings due to heat inconsistancies.

Don't give yourself grey hairs for nothing. I do suspect that the original recall has something to do with the vapor lock issue with the new style fuel injectors. If you notice on the late model xj's there is a metal insulator shield for the #3 & #4 fuel injectors...HMMM.

Back