• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

255/70 or 170/60

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on running Bilstein 5125s in the rear of my Xj. I searched through about 10 pages and although I read a lot of valuble info, not really specific answers on which valving of Bilstein shocks would be best. I realize everyone has their own opinions and setups so I am asking based on my setup.....

I have a rigidco bumper with swing out tire carrier and a 32x11.5 BFG AT on the back and I carry about 50-75lbs of tools, etc in the cargo area. Obviously, there is some weight there. Also, I have relocated my shackle box mounts lower and forward so the shackle (extended 1.5") is sitting at around 55-60*. I have RE 4.5" leaf springs (6 pack) and TNT UBEs (1.5") so the leaf spring pack is a little flatter than orginally (before the shackle relocation and UBEs) now but still maintains the same ride height. Since then I have noticed the rear really flexes well, even on road, such as over RR tracks, speed bumps, etc.

So do i go with the 255/70 or 170/60 valving taking into consideration the above?

I drive my XJ 80% on road as a DD and the other 20% is 2-track trails, moderate rock crawling and dunes in the summer. My main concern is to do away with the "pick-up" truck feel I have now from the DT3000s.

I was thinking of leaning towards the 170/60s since the way my leaf springs are configured now, allowing more flex and "free movement" and would allow a softer ride.

BTW, I will for sure go with 255/70 in the front since I have considerable body roll and figured the wieght of the engine would need the stiffer valving.

What do you think?

TIA

With your setup (full bodied/heavy) 255/70. Without a doubt. the 170/60 would be too soft for our rigs if you do any offroading at all.

X-4, I have 255/70 5150's with a big buba bumper and winch, and love them.

mavrick said:
Here is a link to Bilsteins site that has a valving chart and recomendations for our specific application. When search for shocks this question comes up a lot, this chart is a quick and easy answer. http://www.bilstein.com/ValvingQuickReferenceChart.pdf.

Yeah, I looked at that chart but it really doesn't do any good as far as anything to reference it to. Meaning, what is their idea of "comfort" and "performance". I wanted opinions from guys who have run them in real world situations, not based on a chart with terms that are subjective.....thanks for the link though

corbinafly said:
With your setup (full bodied/heavy) 255/70. Without a doubt. the 170/60 would be too soft for our rigs if you do any offroading at all.

so they would be too soft, even if running the 170's in the back which is lighter? I definetly will run the 255s in the front, just thought I might be able to get away with the 170s in the rear for a softer ride and still be adequate for offroad.

2001XJ said:
, just thought I might be able to get away with the 170s in the rear for a softer ride and still be adequate for offroad.

Now obviously do what you want but, you asked & we answered so..... .... i am/we are telling you that the 255/70 will be the right choice. 255/70 is not going to ride super stiff in the back!
It will just be a well controlled feeling & it will not effect articultion or do anything negitive offroad.

2001XJ said:
so they would be too soft, even if running the 170's in the back which is lighter? I definetly will run the 255s in the front, just thought I might be able to get away with the 170s in the rear for a softer ride and still be adequate for offroad.

The 170's are meant for dual shock applications, they would be way too soft for you. I run 255/70 5150's in the rear of mine.

MattyJ, Goatman and others.....thanks for the input, I will go with the 255s then.

Back