• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel replacement

Higgs98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My steering wheel is the only thing on my jeep that is completely thrashed. The leather on the top is just..gone. I dont wanna get a Wheelskin. I've thought of a few ideas to fix it...

1) find a way to get it rewrapped cheap...anyone know anybody?

2) get a exact replacement...maybe used, new i dunno

3) OR what i would like to do, but not sure on the possiblity, is get a newer, fancier jeep wheel...

anybody know if i can do the newer wheel?? im just concerned with freaking my computer out and the airbag messing up. It would be a nice touch for sure.

of course all these options have varying price ranges..tell me whats up

I was starting to wonder the same thing. I'm on my second wheel, a used one. What I was thinking about was getting one out of a 97+ TJ. We just picked up a 97TJ for the wifey, and it looks like it has the same wheel and design, it's just not wrapped in leather. I think it's made out of rubber or polyurethane or something like that because it would have been waterproof. I'll have to take a closer look at it.

My 98's wheel is also torn up on top. I want the thicker steering wheel from a ZJ, but I don't know if the airbag/cruise control buttons would be compatible.

www.jeepsareus.com has replacement factory steering wheels for airbag cars, if you want to go the route of oem. $62 bucks for a molded wheel, not sure how much a leather wrapped wheel is.

I had a grant wheel in my 92 cause the wheel was all beat up, too small for the jeep though. I didn't like how it felt. I bought a wheelskins leather cover and stitched it on and cleaned up the 3 metal spokes. Now it looks and feels like new.

Last edited:
Wrecking yards, or EBay. Mine on my 98 had the same symptoms as yours. I just bought a replacement leather wrapped one on Ebay for $40 in excellent shape.....

Ditto here on my '96 XJ. I've been thinking of using the wheelskin since I've used them in the past. Problem is the 'spokes' are so wide on this OE wheel I can't visualize how the wheelskin would look or if it'd be cr@p.

Keep us posted if you figure out how to solve this problem on yours and I'll do the same.

My steering wheel doesn't have an air bag, Does anyone make or have "Jeep" steering wheels. I dont want a grant or anything like that.

Back