• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Stroker, won't start

Black Magic XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed a 4.6 in my 2000 xj. Original block, same style head only from another vehicle as, who would have guessed, the original cracked between 3 and 4.

Got the thing in, all the wires are plugged in and everything is tight. Connections all seem to be good.

The starter is doing a hellova job turning the thing over, but it won't run. New plugs (no distro, got the rail distro system)

No chips or computer mods. Can't figure the damned thing out. Plugs get wet after a few seconds of trying to turn it over. Some of the plugs look like they have seen a spark, but most don't have the slightest carbon build up.

It will pop occasionally, but it absolutely won't start.

Clueless.

Would really appreciate your help. I'm sure you've been there. First time doing anything like this, but followed everyone's advice to this point.

:hang:

Did you change the flywheel/flex plate?

I'm not that familiar with the newer engine electronics, but they have to have a cam sensor to make it fire on the compression stroke. It could be 180 out.

Okay, I shoved a wire into one of the plug ports on the distro rail and wrapped another wire around the end and grounded it to the block. Got spark. Couldn't tell how strong it was as I'm not too familiar with these things, but it was a spark. I'm going to spray some oil into the ports to avoid fuel wash and try again tomorrow. Thanks. Anything else I should check?

Old man,
The flywheel is the same. as stock. blots on one way. The crank sensor is on the driver's side/top of the bell housing. Never touched it. My understanding is that it doesn't matter whether you bold the flywheel to the TC as it only mounts to the crank one way. Where is the cam sensor??? How do I check it?

Isn't that where the distributor would be?

I thought even with distributorless ignition they still had the cam sensor just no distributor cap....although I could be wrong.

Can the cam sensor actually be in wrong? seems like you have 360 degrees of possibility there. Doesn't seem like there is a way to really identify how it should be in. Am I wrong?

i do believe that the cam sensor can be off. i'll have to try and look into it, but if the sensor lines up like the distributor, then the housing itself should be indexed, but the actual part that contacts with the oil pump can be off.

and please tell me that i'm misunderstanding this, but you DID bolt the flywheel to the torque converter with the 4 (or was it 6 bolts) right???

Blaine B. said:
Isn't that where the distributor would be?

I thought even with distributorless ignition they still had the cam sensor just no distributor cap....although I could be wrong.

That is what I thought. If it is indexed incorrectly, you will get these exact symptoms.

I never looked at a distributorless XJ. Although my buddy's GF just got a 2001. I'll have to pop the hood sometime.

What about the timing chain, maybe it's not aligned?

Cam sensor on the distributorless 4.0's is right where the distributor shaft used to enter the block. It's got a red plastic cap with a lead in it. How one indexes it, I don't know. I can't even find the CPS on my 99 WJ.

Fred

Back