• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which one? Xj dana 44 or 8.8

xjcody

NAXJA Forum User
Alright here is my delima: I bought a 8.8 with 3.73 gears, lsd, 31 spline axles and disk brakes a few months ago and its been sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. The other day I went to pick n pull and got a xj dana 44 for $80 and it has the same ratio as my front, 3.55. So should I bolt in the 44 and be done or put in the 8.8, but then I need new gears up front.

I would say 8.8 larger tubes.....my 2 cents.:NAXJA:

I would only do the 8.8 if you're running larger than 31" tires, then regear both the D30 and the 8.8.

If you got 31" or under tires, then throw the D44 under it. Either way, both are great axles but have their pros and cons.

Just do a little research, its a pretty common debate.

right now I run 32/11.5 15 tires, but I plan to go bigger in the future.

8.8 is cheap and has disc brakes if you look, but the d44 will bolt up, i run an 8.25 27 spline alloys locked on 33's with a very very heavy foot and havent broken anything,

I already have both, just need opinions so I can sell one and buy gears. Cant reaaly make up my mind, both have pros and cons.

I currently run a 8.8 with 33" tires and I am actually selling it and installing a D44. It is a AWSOME axle but the pumpkin is rather large and drags over EVERYTHING. There has been more than once that I could have used jsut another 1/2" clearence and been cleared. So, I would say go D44 for anything less than 35" tires and 8.8 with 35" and up.

Just my .02

outlander said:
rockwells.....
Wow, that sure was helpful.

D44 will bolt right up and has tremendous aftermarket support. Although the 8.8 has larger tubes, they do neck down a little at the ends. The 8.8 is also a c-clip axle, the Dana44 is not. The 8.8 will require welds at the center casting/tube junction, spun tubes are not uncommon.

Stick with the Dana44.

go with the 44. The 8.8 is a great axle but you have to worry about the gears, rebuild kit, and the pinion conversion. 8.8 is C-clip too.

Save the money throw in the 44 since you can do it without throwing money at it.

The whole thing about a 44 only being able to hold up to 31s is a bit of an understatement. Our CJs have been running locked 44s in the rear with 35s and a heavy foot and we have been fine.

just my .02

Frank Z said:
Wow, that sure was helpful.

D44 will bolt right up and has tremendous aftermarket support. Although the 8.8 has larger tubes, they do neck down a little at the ends. The 8.8 is also a c-clip axle, the Dana44 is not. The 8.8 will require welds at the center casting/tube junction, spun tubes are not uncommon.

Stick with the Dana44.

Ya have a valid point Frank! Both are great axles w/pro's & con's BUT all the Pony boys out there runnin the 8.8, some with over 1000hp would have to agree...... 8.8!! And before ya say it MANY without the c-clip eliminater! :NAXJA:

Back