• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lectric fan?!

88RIxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok i would like to install an electric fan in my jeep and get read of the engine one. I am told this will help performance and MPGs. is there an easy way or easy swap i can do to make this work ? Any info in the right direction will be greatly thanked:thumbup:

Use the search option on the forum!! You will be surprised how much help is already here!!:cheers: WELCOME!

First,total bs.Second thats the best part about an XJ over a TJ.Redundant systems are way better.There are very few places that test a system out like here!

Yes the electric fan system is better for performance and it will save a few hp but not much. And that factory fan clutch setup is a joke IMO
I don’t have a write up for just the fans but its simple to the point you don’t need a write up. (I relocated my alternator to the top and removed the manual fan and associated brackets that were used for that purpose)
If you get two factory Jeep fans "mine are from MJ , XJ they fit in the bottom of the radiator "has the mounting provision for both sides"
So you get two fans drop them in to the lower mounts install the upper mount screws and done. You can run them both off the factory system using and extra relay for the second fan or run a new adjustable thermo switch from the parts store they run $20.00 and you can run one off the factory system "driver side" and the pass side off the new adjustable switch. Or off a manual switch or combo of both whatever you like.
I run both off and adjustable thermo with dedicated fuse and relay per fan
Here is a pic they have been in service for a couple years now.
And do they keep it cool,yes it was like 100deg here in Ohio this summer with nasty humidity and wheeling “while it was hard on me” the jeep never got over normal temps
the results prove out the fans performance I think buying fancy hi cfm fans is just a waste of cash, the factory units get the job done and just drop in.

134482712.jpg

Last edited:
i also did the electric fan swap,except i bought a kit made for the cherokee that uses 3 fans and is adjustable to whatever temp you want,i got better gas milage and yes my cherokee feels stronger,but the biggest difference was when i am out in the woods,climbing or crawling,before with the factory fan i would heat up fast and overheat in no time if i didnt let her cool down,now with the triple fans i can pretty much do anything and she never gets to hot.ditch the engine fan and go electrics you will be happy.

JACKED COUNTRY said:
i also did the electric fan swap,except i bought a kit made for the cherokee that uses 3 fans and is adjustable to whatever temp you want

What kit was it? Who made it? Pics?

joshv98xj said:

Wow with shipping that’s 250.00.. And they just hold to the core with zips
Well you know over time they cut through the core and well make your radiator "leak" use the factory fans they mount correctly. if you really want to run after market here is a 9" fan you could use but I would make a mount for them , the thermo switch is $20.00 "relays can be had for free" so you could make your own "TRIPLE THREAT " for around say 100.00

yea thats the seller i got it from,but my kit has the red s blade fans, its made by ff dynamics. it was so far the best money i spent on an upgrade. i got better results with that then with headers and exhaust.my kit came with straps to mount the fans and had everything i needed to install it,the controller lets me adjust to any temp i want and lets me turn the fans on from inside the truck with a toggle switch for when i am offroading.to me it was worth every penny. it was an easy install,everything was included and the results for the money were the best yet for me,i am not one to piece anything together on my cherokee to save money,she is my baby not some beater,i am proud of how i built my truck,i like everything done right and clean looking just like everything was factory, my cherokee looks sweet outside and under the hood.i am not one of those who go mudding on sunday and then drive around all week without washing his truck.i am a bachelor in nyc i cant roll in a beater peiced together,my truck is tight on the street and in the woods.when i roll into new job sites half the time they think i am a foreman.i will take pics this weekend and post them, you guys will like it if you like black.

Comanchedude said:
Yes the electric fan system is better for performance and it will save a few hp but not much. And that factory fan clutch setup is a joke IMO
I don’t have a write up for just the fans but its simple to the point you don’t need a write up. (I relocated my alternator to the top and removed the manual fan and associated brackets that were used for that purpose)
If you get two factory Jeep fans "mine are from MJ , XJ they fit in the bottom of the radiator "has the mounting provision for both sides"
So you get two fans drop them in to the lower mounts install the upper mount screws and done. You can run them both off the factory system using and extra relay for the second fan or run a new adjustable thermo switch from the parts store they run $20.00 and you can run one off the factory system "driver side" and the pass side off the new adjustable switch. Or off a manual switch or combo of both whatever you like.
I run both off and adjustable thermo with dedicated fuse and relay per fan
Here is a pic they have been in service for a couple years now.
And do they keep it cool,yes it was like 100deg here in Ohio this summer with nasty humidity and wheeling “while it was hard on me” the jeep never got over normal temps
the results prove out the fans performance I think buying fancy hi cfm fans is just a waste of cash, the factory units get the job done and just drop in.

Wish I would have seen this setup while you were here. I have been wanting to relocate my alt forever but don't see how to. Send me a PM if you have time to meet up & show me what I need to do to get er done!

I always wondered if the dual OEM electric fan setup worked too, but I just got rid of the 2 spare ones I had, fudge! Now I gotta pay for one, lol.

Dead thread revive... I know.

Blain B. - Info on that fan setup?

JACKED COUNTRY - How is the FF Dynamics setup working out?

The only new info I have to give is that I am going to make a shroud to cover the backside of the radiator with three cutouts for the fans, so there are no gaps and such.

Do you have any questions? I'll answer.

Blaine B. said:
Do you have any questions? I'll answer.
What kinds of fans, how much did you pay, where did you get them, etc.
Do you still get hot?
How did you hook it up?

They are 10" Flex-A-Lite Trimline fan series, with straight blades. For that particular size, according to the Flex-A-Lite website, the straight blades pull more air than the S blades. Only for the 10" fan size though, for the larger sizes the S blades are the way to go.

They were like $75 each. Pricy. But, I don't get hot.

I do plan to make a shroud though and get rid of my adjustable fan thermostat. You are supposed to stick it in a radiator hose but I didn't, I have it zip tied to the water pump return pipe.

I plan to get a Renix era fan thermostat that plugs into the radiator. Then I'll be able to use that fan thermostat as well as the temperature sensor in the thermostat housing which normally controls the stock electric fan for the OBD years.

I don't like 3 fans being controlled at once, at the most I'd only like two fans to come on at the same time, with a 3rd serving as a backup. Or the other way around.

One fan is hooked up to the stock fan wiring. The other two are hooked up to relays, which are controlled by the Flex-A-Lite thermostat fan controller.

Back