• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok trying new approach. Free 12 pack and large pizza anyone willing to come help me!

96Yeepster

NAXJA Forum User
For title redeement, I am very near Carbondale Illinois. About 20 minutes outside of it actually. I learned early that bribary can get you things you need.
Ok that and takle a symptom.
What will cause the courtesy lights to always remain on?
I think if I find that issue it will solve my no crank issue.

Re: Ok trying new approach. Free 12 pack and large pizza anyone willing to come help me!

Two things that come to mind immediately are the switches physically on the lights and the knob on the headlight pull being rotated too far to the right I believe it is will leave the courtesy/Dome lights on. Aside from that I'm interested to know as well.

first thing I would check is the nub that tells the lights your door is closed. had this problem in my TJ, had to get a new sensor for it........if this helps I like pepperoni, and guiness :lickout:

This only started yesterday out of the blue. Then all the sudden no crank at all. But everything else is working fine.

Guess I will check out the battery....

Re: Ok trying new approach. Free 12 pack and large pizza anyone willing to come help me!

About the Lights staying on-
What year Cherokee?

If it's the newer body style; with the tail gate shut. try clicking the rear overhead light in the very back. It's set up really weird. If the tailgate is open and you push it then all the interior lights will go on. When you close the tailgate the lights will go off. BUT if the gate is shut when you push it then all the lights will stay on.

rsquirt83 said:
About the Lights staying on-
What year Cherokee?

If it's the newer body style; with the tail gate shut. try clicking the rear overhead light in the very back. It's set up really weird. If the tailgate is open and you push it then all the interior lights will go on. When you close the tailgate the lights will go off. BUT if the gate is shut when you push it then all the lights will stay on.
year is my namesake. 96. Currently the tailgate is perminately shut as the latch is busted shut.

I'm willing to come help. You'd have to pay for the plane ticket, but I'm willing to. Do you want me to PM you my address so you can send the pizza and beer, or should I just send you a receipt for reimbursement?

I'm thirsty and hungry! But, seriously, you say the latch is busted? IF your 'yeep' has the option where the tailgate WOULD operate the interior lights, the switch is part of the latch mechanism. Does your car have a light in the wayback? If so, does it have a pushbutton on it? If so, you may have the switch in the tailgate lock. These are notorious for malfunctioning. On my '96, I took off the tailgate inside, and removed and disassembled the latch. There are contacts to give the circuit 'ground' to run the lights- the hot is always present. I now have to slam the tail good to extinguish the lights, although, if I push the button on the light, they will stay off, even if the tail is open. Do a little pokin' around, and see what you come up with.

The rear hatch is fastened and very much locked. The rear 'gargo' light does not come on, it is the forward ones (overhead and kick panel)

I am ][ close to saying fuck it and part the fucker out and be rid of the sumbitch!
This thing has been nothing but trouble! I should listened to my gut when I saw the previous owner was a mechanic in the National Guard! Man this guy did some effed up shit to this Jeep, that I was forced to fix correctly!

just a guess but the no spark could easily be a CPS they go like that sometimes.. do you have spark? fuel?

Check your battery, if you've had lights staying on it could be drained. And depending on how old it is it, could just be bad. And that could make your electrical do funny things. If it's the CPS I think it would crank, just won't start. They are easy to replace if it is. I'm thinking you need a new battery, and if not check the altenator.

You have two separate issues here.
For the courtesy lights, I would check all of the door switches. Each door has a switch.

I suspect the NSS is the no crank culprit. Might give that a look-see. Try to start it in Neutral and see what happens.

Hale

Haleyes said:
You have two separate issues here.
For the courtesy lights, I would check all of the door switches. Each door has a switch.

I suspect the NSS is the no crank culprit. Might give that a look-see. Try to start it in Neutral and see what happens.

Hale
already tried, no crank.

always start with the most simple just to make sure you eliminate everything.

have you tried jumpstarting it. if it won't even jumpstart, make sure the battery is good. maybe use a spare or friends battery to make sure yours isn't completely toast. batteries can get so bad they won't even take a jumpstart. now if with jumpstarting or a different battery, nothing works, then see if you have power (do your lights work, horn, radio, etc..) if you do, then make sure your starter didn't go out which will cause it not to crank. if the starter checkes out fine, then it could be the NSS switch (might be stuck between gears and won't even allow you to start it with the shifter wiggle or in neutral. rare, but can happen), or something in the ignition.

if you have the skill, or know somebody that can help you, you could try to turn the key on, and jump the starter with a remote push button starter (available in some part stores fairly cheap). if that works, then you are not getting power between your ignition and starter.

for the light staying on, i'm tempted to say that's not related, but it could still be. i've seen electronics do weird stuff with dead or fried batteries.

and specially with the cold weather now, the battery fits the time frame. batteries and alternators are the #1 seller during winter.

I also have a '96 and I had the same problem, broken rear latch / lock and interior lights that wouldn't go out.

The way back light push button is a bad design and may be what is keeping the lights on. What I did is replace the push button switch with a tiny Radio Shack toggle switch. Now if I want the interior lights on or off with the hatch open I flip the switch. If I want them on with the hatch closed, I open a door or turn the headlight knob.

To save on shipping, I take PayPal.
Mike

Back