• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dealer AC service?

Flip94ta

NAXJA Forum User
Any thoughts on the dealer ac service? They quoted me $120 over the phone for my xj. Its a 96 with 136K on it and blows cold but I think it could use a recharge. I recently had the maxima recharged at the nissan dealer and it lowered the discharge temp a good 10*. It cost $100:cool:

I feel the jeep could use a 10-15* drop. I been mostly using on level 3 when its been about 95* out. Anyone tried valvoline or others? I have seen too many people screw theirs up to try DIY on the ac system to try it myself.

So....

Nissan charged you $100

Jeep wants $120

Sounds resonable. Your gonna bitch about a $20 difference at different dealerships? If its a reputable shop the should leak check it and look for any additional problems, instead of just a blind refill.

Rev

My dealership charges 110 for recharge and leak detect. Mine will credit this fee if there is something found and they do the work.
(Evap. in my case yuk yuk). However, a can of 134a with a hose (& maybe a gauge on it too)will only set you back about $17.00 if all you want is a quick refill. Not hard to do yourself

I'm not bitching, just showing price differences. How about that nissan charged me $100 for trans service and GM charges $140. I think its funny just how much service prices differ from one company to another. I guess I am seeing if anyone has had good or bad experiences from other non-dealer shops.

I worked at a parts store for 3 years and and saw about a 40% sucess rate with DIY ac work. I tried it once with no success and I am gonna leave it to the pros. Funny how I'll install a twin disc clutch on the trans am and wont touch a stock jeep ac.

Flip94ta said:
BTW rev I am looking to move to aurora, what do you think of the area?

Depends where you are looking. Stay away from downtown in any direction, better to be in one of the surrounding towns. Why Aurora?

Rev

Well, the FAA should be calling soon with an ATC job. The fiance can transfer to her office in oakbrook. Napierville is right in the middle but seems too pricey. Looking to live in aurora by highway 59 I guess.

i actually had mine serviced at a jeep dealer today. the price they quoted me, which is what you listed, was cheaper than other places around and now it's great! i hope it lasts because they said they detected no leaks with the dye kit they also include when they recharge.

tommyr said:
Keep your fingers crossed. The one place it isn't easy to see leaks with the dye is the evaporator.......

It normally takes about 4-6 of the little refill cans with the dye in them before it starts mixing with the condensation and dripping out the drain on the engine compartment firewall..

Back