• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj trans to zj ?'s

yourownself

NAXJA Forum User
so, there's a 94 zj on craigslist for 800 that "needs a tranny"
i have a junk (rolled) 99xj with a perfect drivetrain.
any good reasons why i couln't swap the tranny and possibly the tcase from the xj into the zj?
i'm assuming the 94zj has an aw4, and i'm 99.9% sure the xj does as well, but jeep got a little screwy with changing things around in the later years of the xj.

btw, if it's not painfully clear by now, i'm a YJ guy, and don't know a whole helluvalot about other jeeps, just enough to ask questions.

The 94 ZJ will have a Chrysler tranny and a different transmission computer. You can probably make the AW4 work if you transferred over the 99XJ transmission computer and wiring. You'd have to look at the FSM, but the wiring harnesses are probably very similar. The early 93 ZJs did come with an AW4, but there were some sensor changes on the XJ AW4 in 98 so you would need to keep the 99 TCU with your 99 AW4. So I guess the question is whether your any good with wiring.....

the 94 ZJ has a 42re trans, the AW4 can be installed and has been.... the issue is getting it to shift without needing to do so manually. You can do a search at www.nagca or JU.

lawsoncl said:
You might also check what engine it has. I'm not sure if the AW4 will bolt up to the v8 if that was even offered in 94.

No, wont bolt up to an 8. Only the early 93 ZJ's w/4.0L got the AW-4.

ZJ's can be kinda weird as I'm finding out, my 97 has a 4.0L auto, 242J and D35, went into the computer with the Chrysler DRB tool and picked 97, no go, exited and went back in as a 98 and that worked, the ECU identified itself as an XJ not a ZJ and I was able to program the keyfob, scrolled thru the whole thing and then went to my 98XJ and it had all the same feature sets as the ZJ. The ECU's in both the ZJ and the XJ are original.
I did find out it takes all of 60 seconds to sync the engine ecu's mileage to the gauge cluster mileage or visa versa. :D I could have even set the mileage back to 000000.0 if I wanted to... :D

Back