• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft value?

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just bought and installed an RE 4.5 superflex from a guy local here for 400. He was going to throw in his rear drive shaft that he supposedly got from RE to work with his hack and tap. When he delivered the lift he didnt have the driveshaft off so I payed him $350 for the lift. Now the question is, would a RE cv driveshaft thats a few years old be worth $50 dollars or would I be better off getting a front out of an xj from the junk yard. Im going to have to figure out what I want to do with the SYE, and will probably go with a PORC HD unit.

So, once again, Did I do ok with the lift? and is a RE CV shaft worth the $50?

Thanks in advance, you guys have been lots of help.

Jeremy

i'd go for the re driveshaft if its already the correct length for the 4.5 lift, that would be a well spent $50. theyre's always the chance you would have to lengthen the junk yard front driveshaft depending on your setup.

Yes you did well with the lift. I would pay the $50 and get the driveshaft that the guy had in his before. I would put new u-joints in it and then you would be good to go as far as the drive shaft. Since you have everything RE then I would stay with them for the hack-n-tap. That is what I did on my 3.5" lift and have been quite pleased with it.
I would never use the J/Y front driveshaft. It may work but it was never designed to be a rear(main) driveshaft.

I may make him give it to me cheaper since he shorted me the two bottom small leaves for the rear pack. I had installed everything before he "realized that they werent part of the axles" and decided to call and say hey i have more of the leaf spring. So i had to tear into the rear again to get them mated up with the rest of the pack and level the lift out. Ill probably go for it. Is there any reason not to go with the PORC kit? FOr the price of the hack and tap and the flange adapter it isnt much more to get a beefier output shaft and yoke. It makes more sense to me but I guess that leaves the possibility of having to lengthen the shaft right?

Ive ran a Hack N' Tap for over a year with an "RE" DS and its perfect so i wouldnt spend the extra on a PORC plus that DS has the flange that works for the HNT (im assuming) makes it that much easier its bolt in.

You won't get one much cheaper from a junkyard (if not more $$$), I'd take it, you know it is the right lenght.

I think the cheapest I've paid was $30, but my local yard will dicker with you. And this way you don't have to lay in the dirt, etc...

Hey I got the shaft for $40 dollars. Its in pretty good shape. Ill replace the u joints and probably rebuild the cv centering stuff. It is the one with the flange on it just like you guys said so RE Hack n tap is gonna be my cheapest option. Any of you guys have or know someone who has one they could sell me for a fair/cheap price? =)

Back