• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering problem

bobmarly123

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
89 xj straight 6 4.0 lt. 202,000 miles.
My power steering is whining. Usually bad when I first start the car and gets better as I drive but I can still hear it. Fluid level is fine but it is all bubbly when I take the cap off after driving.
Is the pump bad or is there something else. I searched and didn’t find anything relevant.

Also I thought there was a cracked hose so replaced the high pressure hose but could not get off the return hose. What do I do with the metal rings around the return hose? Do I cut them off and have to replace them? If so where can I get some? Thanks in advance.

mines doing the exct same thing after replacing the high pressure line last night, I'm going to try bleeding mine out tonight on the hoist, lock to lock of the ground a bunch of times

correct you can cut it off, and just use regular hose clamps to put the new one back on if it doesn't come with a new clamp.

bubbles in the fluid would indicate a leak somewhere in the system, and the whining usually indicates a failing power steering pump. now if you are getting air into the system, that could possibly cause the pump to whine. so i would try and correct that situation first before replacing the pump.

also if you replaced the hose prior to these bubbles happening, then i would suggest bleeding the steering system properly because it could be just that you didn't bleed it correct when replacing the hose.

1) front tires off the ground (put front of vehicle on jackstands)
2) check/top off fluid level
3) start vehicle and let it run for a minute
4) shut off vehicle, check fluid level, then slowly turn lock to lock 20-30 times
5) start vehicle and continue slowly turning lock to lock 20-30 times until no new air bubbles are visible.
6) done.

my '89 just started doing this today.

fluid looks like brown bubble bath. where can i look to replace this line?

TLowery04 said:
my '89 just started doing this today.

fluid looks like brown bubble bath. where can i look to replace this line?

If your looking for a new high pressure line, they cost somewere in the 40$ range (I think). I would NOT go cheap here, its a saftey issue (kinda like doing brakes).
I had a cracked fluid res. and I fixed it for 10$ by sanding the area with 120 grit, cleaning with solvent, and putting a high temp, epoxy patch on it. That was 4 years ago, no problems since.

My year old AutoZone rebuilt PS pump started to leak and whine a little (who would know an AutoZone product would start to fail so soon?)

I added some Lucas power steering stop leak/conditioner. It quieted it down.

Worth a try!

Back