• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

most travel possible w/ track bar suspension

sdryde

NAXJA Forum User
I want to know what the most travel you guys have gotten out of a track (pan hard) bar style suspension from bump stop to axel: coil sprung or coilover...show your pics

lowrange2::::: Those ar good pics but i AM MORE INTERESTED IN THE AMOUNT OF VERTICAL TRAVEL OF THE AXEL AND how IT WAS ACHIEVED........I never could gain more than 13- 14 inches of travel, I want to see if anyone could get more than that

I want to know the most vertical travel people have achieved with their pan hard bar /track bar suspension and how they did it..>>>>>>NOT FLEX, BUT VERTICAL TRAVEL BY THE AXEL ....

Starboard M said:
I would think other things would limit vertical travel more then the track bar.

Namely shocks, brake lines and steering.

Shocks, brake lines and steering are all way over-rated anyways! Just leave them off and you can get MAD travel!

lowrange2 said:
Shocks, brake lines and steering are all way over-rated anyways! Just leave them off and you can get MAD travel!
Control arms too

Also driveline.
me thinks he wants to go fast and hit the whoops hard. Control arms can allow for alot of droop. and brake lines can do the same. of course shocks. springs are going to limit your uptravel. a 4.5" coil is going to drop out to soon and a 7.5" spring might not give you full stuff.
just think, to much travel with a panhard is not safe for going fast. the more droop, the more arc... the more arc, the more your axle swings from side to side putting the jeep into body roll.

Im running Heims all the way around.. trackbar, steering, etc. My limit is 14" travel shocks... they'd be my limit if they were 16".. but why in the world would I need that much travel... I think you get to a point there too much travel is a bad thing especially for your driveline..

I did not ask what would limit my suspension travel, which most of you have answered with but, I asked how but much travel have you gotten with a track bar style suspension.>>>>>>>>>>>>thanks for the real answer uncc-engineer>>>what are you runing? short arm, short arm with drop brackets, long arm, custom, three link or what? thanks----

sdryde said:
I did not ask what would limit my suspension travel, which most of you have answered with but, I asked how but much travel have you gotten with a track bar style suspension.>>>>>>>>>>>>thanks for the real answer uncc-engineer>>>what are you runing? short arm, short arm with drop brackets, long arm, custom, three link or what? thanks----

Why don't you tell us what you really want?

Its not all about the travel that makes you go faster over bumps. do you have an engine that can power you at higher speeds? Only having enough power to get you up to 65 in the rough when you can run 85 and skip over the tops. Look at the rock crawling industry. no longer is big articulation the name of the game. Buggies are running moderate articulation in order to keep tire pressure on the ground. I'm not saying that having tons of travel is bad, but in the XJ there is a point of diminishing return.
I'm only at about 12" of front travel. limited by the shocks. thats about to change as I step up to 15" travel airshocks. I'll probably stick with the panhard bar so that I can keep my steering for now. But since I'm putting in a wider axle, I might try and make my PanHard as long as I can with a custom upper mount outside of the framerail.
There are so many schools of though with regaurds to how to go the fastest across the whoops. If you can lighten your jeep up then your engine can get you going faster quicker which will let you sacrafice some of the wheel travel.
For desert racing, you need a long arm setup. coil overs would be bitchen. part of the limits is just the space you have to mount a shock. you can only fit a shock thats so big in a stock location.

I run 12" shocks without a problem with my panhard bar...

looks like this at full compression -
stp82191.jpg

my track bar runs in front of the coil and my knuckle has about 1/4" of clearance to the panhard mount at full lock left...
stp82195.jpg

Back