• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake help needed badly

Mutant_Xj

NAXJA Forum User
The bleed nipple threads are stripped in my back pass drum. I need help Badly.

I just got done swapping over a 95+ brake booster on my 93 sport. I bleed the back pass. brake line and went to tighten up the nipple but it kept spinning. I know not to crank on things really hard and I wasnt. It leaks brake fluid. The nipple threads are alright but the part it threads into is stripped. How do I fix this?

I've got work in about 20 minutes so I don't have time to search. I honestly don't know much about brakes So i don't know what would need to be replaced.

If you could point me to a link or help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Damien

The unit that nipple threads into is called a wheel cylinder. You will need to replace the unit. A new one should cost you no more than $15.00. I don't think you can run a tap into it and clean up the threads.

good luck

Yep its the wheel cylinder you will need to replace. Don't tap it, because you could get some of the shavings inside the cylinder and it will only screw the unit up further. Also while at the parts store, get another hard line brake line, When replacing the wheel cylinder on my '99, the line cracked where the nut was unscrewing.

http://www.autozone.com/N,14400764/shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm

I believe its the 9in brakes you have, I think its the police package that came with the 10.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I'm learning as I go so I was scared I messed something up really bad. To remove the cylinder do I just remove the two bolts on the back or do I need the get inside of the drum and unbolt anything?

unbolt wheel cylinder, w/ wheel & drum off. Use big screw driver to pry shoes outward and wiggle the cylinder out & reverse to get new one in.

One more question no one at autozone, advanced, or my freakin uncle who is a mechanic could help me out with. What do you do with the old brake fluid? I don't want to be a jerk and get rid of it the wrong way but I don't know what the right way is.

Your kidding right? Throw some floor dry or kitty litter down, let it soke it up & throw it in the garbage. It's not like hazmat or nothing.

The U.S. Department of Transportation issues specifications for the three main kinds of brake fluid in use by the automotive and trucking industry: DOT-3, DOT-4 and DOT-5. DOT-3 and DOT-4 are glycol-based fluids and DOT-5 is silicon-based. Depending on the additives used, brake fluid may or may not be hazardous. If you’re that environmentally concerned, you can look up Haz-waste disposal in the yellow pages, and contact someone listed there to dispose of it for you, or try the local garage down the street; which will probably just laugh, and toss it in the trash.

When you put the new cylinder in, apply a bead of silicone sealer around the cylinder mounting surface of the support plate. Tighten the cylinder mounting bolts to 15 ft. lbs.

Good luck,
Gar

Last edited:
Trail-Axe said:
You can also take the old fluid to almost any garage, and they will dispose of it for you. When you put the new cylinder in, apply a bead of silicone sealer around the cylinder mounting surface of the support plate. Tighten the cylinder mounting bolds to 15 ft. lbs.

Good luck,
Gar

not to start a flaming war. But why silicone the wheel cyl ? It ain't gonna keep water, mud out. the gap in the drum and backing plate let all that in anyways

Last edited:
silent_bob_662001 said:
not to start a flaming war. But why silicone the wheel cyl ? It ain't gonna keep water, mud out. the gap in the drum and backing plate let all that in anyways

Probably not really needed, but the Jeep service manual recommends it. I'm sure they have a reason. :)

Last edited:
Trail-Axe said:
Probably not really needed, but the Jeep service manual recommends it. I'm sure they have a reason. :)

Well I can't think of a single reason. If they are worried about rusting it up, clean up the hole in the backing plate with a little sandpaper, put a LITTLE antisieze on it and be good as gold.

Thank you guys for helping me out! I got it fixed this morning and everything is good so far. It was alot easier then I thought it was going to be. The new booster is really nice too. I don't have to push on the brakes nearly as much as I did before.
If anyone on here is around Sunbury Pa and would like my old brake booster and master cyl. I'll gladly give it to them so its not taking up space in storage

Back