• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 Axle seal

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
OK I've got a good one. I am helping a friend with his D35 non c-clip axle. The passenger side leaks gear lube like crazy. I have replaced the bearing and seal twice with the fix only lasting a few weaks. I have a press so the job is not a big deal, but it should go out like this. I have checked the shaft for runout, none. And the seal surface looks good. This truck only has 60,000 on it and he swears there have been no impacts to otherwise damage something. Anyone else have an issue like this???
Angus

a press??? how are you "pressing" the seal in??? maybe that's part of your problem.

all you need is either a small rubber mallet and slowly walk it in, or if you want to do it properly, you go to the parts store and rent a seal driver
url]

and use that to install the seal nice and straight.

if it was installed properly and it still leaks, then all i can think is either
1) ur using the wrong seal
2) the axle is bend
3) the housing is bend
4) you are damaging the seal while installing the shaft

also when you install the new seal, it doesn't hurt to take a little grease and apply it to the inner/outer lip of the seal before installing the axle, so it doesn't start spinning on a dry seal.

scorpio_vette said:
a press??? how are you "pressing" the seal in??? maybe that's part of your problem.

all you need is either a small rubber mallet and slowly walk it in, or if you want to do it properly, you go to the parts store and rent a seal driver
url]

and use that to install the seal nice and straight.

if it was installed properly and it still leaks, then all i can think is either
1) ur using the wrong seal
2) the axle is bend
3) the housing is bend
4) you are damaging the seal while installing the shaft

also when you install the new seal, it doesn't hurt to take a little grease and apply it to the inner/outer lip of the seal before installing the axle, so it doesn't start spinning on a dry seal.

Its a NON C-CLIP.

scorpio_vette said:

He has a non C clip rear. IOW similar to the Dana 44.
The way I did it in my 44 was a bead of RTV at the outer edge of the seal as a precaution. There is no pressure to speak of, assuming that the vent tube is ok.
Remove the retaining plate, degrease the outer perimeter of the seal and RTV it.
If the leak is from the inner perimeter where it rides on the shaft, the shaft has to be real smooth, polished and the seal has to have some grease on it to prevent damage till it gets lubed by the fluid.

The seal and bearing numbers were double checked, triple after the second time. The wheel/axle shaft has no run out when spinning on jack stands. The seals have been installed with plenty of grease. I have been a mechanic for 20 years and never had this happen without an obvious problem. The owner swears it has never been hit or had any abuse on that side. The Jeep is strickly a DD. I can rebuild axles all day long but this otherwise simple problem doesn't make sense.

Angus

No, its fine. The Jeep is completly a virgin as far as dirt is concerned. My only reservation is these folks are famous for not telling me everything. My gut tells me the Jeep has met a curb or other impact and has done something to the housing. I would have thought I would notice that when removing or installing the bearing.

Angus

falcon556 said:
He has a non C clip rear. IOW similar to the Dana 44.
The way I did it in my 44 was a bead of RTV at the outer edge of the seal as a precaution. There is no pressure to speak of, assuming that the vent tube is ok.
Remove the retaining plate, degrease the outer perimeter of the seal and RTV it.
If the leak is from the inner perimeter where it rides on the shaft, the shaft has to be real smooth, polished and the seal has to have some grease on it to prevent damage till it gets lubed by the fluid.

I suppose to be pissing gear oil, both the inner and outer seals would have to be leaking right? There is an inner seal installed?

lawsoncl said:
I suppose to be pissing gear oil, both the inner and outer seals would have to be leaking right? There is an inner seal installed?
There are no inner seals!!

Angus said:
No, its fine. The Jeep is completly a virgin as far as dirt is concerned. My only reservation is these folks are famous for not telling me everything. My gut tells me the Jeep has met a curb or other impact and has done something to the housing. I would have thought I would notice that when removing or installing the bearing.

Angus

i'm not questioning your expertise, just your "trust". have you actually checked the vent tube, or just taking their word on it being a "virgin"??? i would check the entire vent hose and the fitting in the axle too, just to make sure something didn't clog it. shouldn't take more than 1 minute.

and i also agree that they are not telling you something. when you ask them if anything has happened, they are probably thinking of something like getting t-boned and hit in the rear axle, and not of something as "minor" as a curb check, or other stuff.

RCP Phx said:
There are no inner seals!!

The non-c-clip D35 is supposed to have both an outer seal and an inner seal, and the axle bearing is lubed with grease. You're probably thinking of the later c-clip D35 which does not have an inner seal and the axle bearing is lubed by the gear oil. The fill hole in the diff cover on the c-clip D35 is also higher to ensure you get gear oil to the axle bearings.

lawsoncl said:

I did not say inner seal.
The seal next to the retaining plate can leak from two places. The outside that seals the axle tube or the inside part of the seal that seals the axle shaft.
I don't think this type of axle has an inner and outer seal, just the seal next to the retainer.

lawsoncl said:
The non-c-clip D35 is supposed to have both an outer seal and an inner seal, and the axle bearing is lubed with grease. You're probably thinking of the later c-clip D35 which does not have an inner seal and the axle bearing is lubed by the gear oil. The fill hole in the diff cover on the c-clip D35 is also higher to ensure you get gear oil to the axle bearings.

Can you post a picture of the D35 with the two seals?
I don't think it exists.

falcon556 said:
Can you post a picture of the D35 with the two seals?
I don't think it exists.

I don't have a picture showing everything handy. Most of the exploded parts diagrams show the c-clip version which only has the outer seal. I know my 89 non-clip has an inner and outer seal and the bearing is grease packed vice gear oil lubed. Part number for the inner seal is 83503010. The bearing kit that includes the outer seal is part number 83501451

http://www.just4jeep.com/catalog/product5962.html
http://www.just4jeep.com/catalog/product6051.html
http://www.thehouseofjeep.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=629

You guys are violating rule number one. Don't spend money on a Dana 35. :) In my book, a leak is reason enough to replace it with a 44. :)
Oh, and that's a picture of an AMC 20.

lawsoncl said:
This is from the 88 FSM:

A new one for me.
It makes me wonder what they need the vent for. The area between seals should be dry, to get a leak both seals must fail and if a vent is needed, how come only one. Both sides should have it.
Basically I don't get it! I'll have to ask around a bit.
Good luck.

The vent is in the axle tube and vents the housing (although it's actually on the other side from the picture). The oil seals are out at the axle ends. I think you just restated what I originally asked. To get gear oil leaking out at the axle means both seals are leaking.

Back