• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

maybe crazy axle question?

timk578

NAXJA Forum User
so i blew up my D30 with 456s this weekend. i dont want to blow any more money on this junk axle my ring gear now only has a few teeth....is it possible for me to take my ring gear off the carrier and reassembe my axle and drive it? i dont see how this would affect any thing...it would only be for a week or two..help me its my DD for a couple more weeks till mytruck gets to his dreaded island of kodiak ak

OUCH have fun with that one

If the bearings are ok, yes, you can pull the ring gear and drive as a 2wd. Make sure all the pieces are out, you don't want a stray metal chunk getting caught in the spider gears.

Neal

Wouldn't it be better to remove the spider gears so nothing will be turning but the shafts?

passxj said:
Wouldn't it be better to remove the spider gears so nothing will be turning but the shafts?
I was just thinking that, if everyone is worried about stray pieces getting caught.

I'm sure though if he is removing the carrier to take the ring gear off, then there will be nothing in the diff and he will be able to really clean it out, and not miss any pieces big enough to get kicked up and stuck in the spider gears.

It's much easier to pull the front driveshaft, pull the inner shafts, and go. You need to keep the outer shafts (the ones that go through the unit bearing) to keep the hub/bearing assembly togther. Otherwise your wheels will fall off while traveling down the road.

thanks for the help guys ....i "blew it up" because i attempted a water crossing that was just a hair to deep and when the current started to take me and water was over my hood i had no choice but to throw it in reverse and send the skinny pedal home ....ha i had some nasty clunking so i managed to find a trailer and get it home.....lesson learned the hard way i guess

oh yeah its a 2000 LP30 with 456 in front and chr 8.25 with ARB in rear. full tracion 6 in long arm.....thanks for everyones help now at least i can still drive to work

Betcha it looks like this when you pop the cover ;)...

missing%20teeth.jpg

Member of the "Been There, Done That, Still Waiting On The T-Shirt" Club!!

Wow, maybe I am over analyzing this but...

Either way, he'll have to disconnect the drive shaft.

By yanking the carrier (which he'll have to do when he replaces the ring & pinion), he'll have to take off the wheels and the calipers, slide out the shafts, unbolt the carrier bolts and pull the carrier, and then put everything back.

If he pulls the inner axles, he'll still have to take off the wheels and the calipers, and slide out the shafts. He'll then have to pop out the u-joints and then put everything back.

Wouldn't it be easier to remove the carrier than to mess with the u-joints? Also, I bet his pinion is too damaged to keep as well.

mine looks just like that picture ......so i removed my ring gear and reinstalled every thing back together my next question is will everything still get lubriated without the ring gear slinging oil everywhere? im not planning on driving that much but i dont want to ruin my axle seals and other stuff that i might not be thinkning about....your help was awsome so far so whos got ideas.

Why did you put the carrier back in?

Take out front driveshaft to prevent the pinion bearing from being starved, other than that you'll be golden.

Back