• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil burning. Searched

WEJOXJ

NAXJA Forum User
:passgas: Alright, so a couple of days ago, had a check engine problem which I fixed. The day after the check engine light came on, started smelling smoke, but none coming out the pipe. Figured this just tied to the code I had and cleared.

It's oil burning, still nothing out of the tailpipe, coming into the cab with the vent on. Before the problem was fixed, it was coming out from underneath the hood, can't see it anymore but it's still burning. Checked the oil and antifreeze, just fine. Not one crack in the head. What's the deal, bought this because it had such low miles on it (49K) and had it for 6 days. I was thinking head gasket but can't tell where the smoke is coming from. Help? It's a 2000.

Thanks.

Last edited:
power steering fluid?
my bosses 90 had a leaking PS pressure hose spraying on the exhaust manifold and actually started a small fire

or maybe trans fluid, I don't know if the trans cooler line's run close to the exh mani or not

but there's some thing's to check

mike86xj said:
power steering fluid?
my bosses 90 had a leaking PS pressure hose spraying on the exhaust manifold and actually started a small fire

or maybe trans fluid, I don't know if the trans cooler line's run close to the exh mani or not

but there's some thing's to check

X2

Keep going to head (valve, seal, gasket) or piston but I would have crap blowing out everywhere. And there's nothing coming out of the tailpipe.

I'd still check the valve cover gasket and the rear main. Doesn't take much oil to make a lot of smoke.

If those check good, move on to the suggested power steering and transmission cooler lines.

Was the engine down real good. That will give you some what of a freash start. Then look for a leak. Keep checking all your fluids. If something is burning then some thing is going to drop in fluid level.

Thanks everyone, looks like it's the REAR MAIN SEAL (99XJSPORT06). Don't know why that didn't register with me before. Washed the engine down (1985XJlaredo), and checked my pump along with other auxillary components (mike86xj).

Back