• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end rebuild

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 88 XJ with near 250k on it. Bought it new and have always taken good care of it. Its been strictly a street vehicle.

Thought Ild rebuild the front end just because...figure the rubber bushing should (?)be replaced due to nothing more than being near 20 years old

What I'ld like to know is thoughts about what items I should replace. The Ball joints seem tight..I grease them every 5k. I replace the shocks every 30k.

I was thinking: The 4 control arms (or just bushings? what is e-z?)
The control arm bolts
The 4 Ball Joints
The shocks
The steering damper
The wheel bearings and seals
and maybe the D/S U-Joints.

What do you all think?

And what kind of work am I getting into?

Thanks

Good job on the up keep..

Ok..FYI..this thread might end up into a argument!!!

As for arms..it all depends..

Do you wanna stay stock hight? and if so..WHY!!!

are you good with a wrench?

Changeing out the front control arms isnt a simple task..

I would say buy a "J" arm kit from some company and go that route..

Remember to remove the track bar after the front end is jacked up and on jackstands..

be prepared to use lots of foul words!!:rattle:

Spanaway Mudder said:
Ok..FYI..this thread might end up into a argument!!!
What makes you say that? :laugh3:

I just finished rebuilding the front end on my 90 Suburban and last year rebuilt the front end on the 2000XJ.

This is on the XJ:
When I replaced the control arms at 150K miles the hardest single thing was pressing out the R/F one mounted to the top of the axle. The L/F was not so bad and the lowers were a piece of cake. I had to make a tool with large pieces of pipe and threaded rod to press it out. I bought the arms with the bushings in them, but the uppers only have bushings in the uni-body end.

The axle will want to shift rotationally. I used a big pipe wrench and cheater bar for length and placed the bar/handle on a smaller jack stand to keep the axle from rotating.

Replace the steering linkages due to the tie rods, replace the steering damper, unit bearings, axle u-joints and rebuild the drive shaft. Might as well do the calipers, rotors and pads. Don't forget sway bar bushings, both frame and axle ends.

Good luck, not difficult if you have mechanical inclination and good set of tools. Plan on two Saturdays. The rig will ride so much better.

I did a budget lift on mine and went with pro-comp crap lca on mine..

You should check around on here for links to derfrent sites that you can get good low-cost lift kits for it...

Try old man emu kits...not the best..but if its a daily driver then it will work just fine...
:thumbup: I would try http://rustysoffroad.com also...

get on the:callme: and call around to local 4x shops and see what's the best budget kit you could get for it...

If the front end is stock, I'd get replacement uppers and lowers from quadratec (not much more then bushings, but then again I don't really see being able to pull bushings out of the stock arms and not damaging them). Then get a pair of upper bushings for the axle end upper.

Yes, removing the axle will make the UCA axle end bushing replacement WAY easier and since you're removing all the CA's anyways, you might as well pull the axle out and save yourself the pain and hassle and headache. WIth the UCA bushings being 20 years old.. you might also have a fun time replacing those.

Wheel bearings? give them a test: jack up the axle and put leverage on the wheel in up and down motion: is there play? If no, leave them be. Are you leaking oil out of the tubes? If no, leave the seals be (to replace the seals you gotta pop the carrier out).

D/S ujoints: most definately. Though if it's street vehicle they might have not gotten much use and might be fine (as long as you greased them). THough.. on second thought I'd repalce them. ALso in the front D/S I would replace that ball/cup joint as well. I don't have a link handy, but you can order those online for abotu $35 or so. Oh yeah, get all spicer ujoints and the ball/cap as well.

I didn't see much mention of the track bar here, but I'd at least give that a close look if you haven't had to replace it yet. While at it, make sure that the hole in the bracket at the axle end is not worn to an oval, because it will keep loosening and clunking if it is.

I would not bother with the ball joints unless they're actually worn out. They can go bad at that age, but can also last just about forever, especially if you've been kind to the vehicle. A lot of work for no gain if they're still fine. Similarly, the wheel bearings. It's no harm to replace them, of course, but if they're good now, you'll get no improvement with new ones except for not having to worry about them for a long time to come.

Take a very close look at the pitman shaft of the steering gear, too. The bearing tends to have some side play in it, and that will give you a little steering vagueness and delay.

Sorry fellows. I forgot to mention this is a 2WD XJ. Does that make changing front end parts any easier?

I installed one of those "adjustable" (to allow me to eliminate the play in the ball rod end) track bar. Seems to be holding up well.

ptf18 said:
Sorry fellows. I forgot to mention this is a 2WD XJ. Does that make changing front end parts any easier?
yes: you don't have front axle seals :D Also the drivers side UCA bushing should be way easier to replace as well. Oh yeah, and the driveshaft rebuild I would assume relates to the rear driveshaft which means only 2 ujoints which will be easy (I'd swap them out).

Is there a "how To do this...." post on the Forum somewhere? Ive got books and turn wrenches for a living (aircraft) but it would be nice to see some real life pictures....That way when I drag the wife out to help lift, pull, push...swear....whatever...I can show her that Im doing it by the pictures... :)

Back