• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nv241or rubicon case installed (write up) long

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my case the Monday after I got back from Superlift ORV Park and before I was supposed to go to Clayton, from a yard in CA. I had trashed my tranny (AW4) while at Superlift. So Sunday night and Monday morning I searched and searched to no avail for pics and some sort of a write up that detailed installing the 241 tc in an xj. I came up with nothing and went ahead with the purchase and install.

I had read in some of the threads that I came up with that some people had installed them and found only one pic of one sitting on a flat surface. But no details.

First of all I have a 1989 with the 4.0 and AW4. I found that the early years of the aw4 were 21 spline output I believe ending in 1991 and then changing to 23 spline output in 1992. I had researched this a while back with the notion that my tranny would be going out before long. I had purchased one out of a 1992 with the 23 spline output a few months ago to have when the time came. Note: the 241 will not bolt to the older aw4 because the 241 only comes with a 23 spline input to match the later model 23 spline aw4 output. All the rubi t-cases have a long input shaft that does reach into the output shaft seal of the aw4 so, no need to worry about that.

I was going to try to still make my planned trip to Clayton. So, I took the 92 aw4 to the tranny shop to have rebuilt on tues after I ordered the 241. I got my rebuilt tranny back on thursday and installed it in about an hour. All lines, bolts, brackets lined up with no problems. The only thing I found different was the CPS. I used the one from the 89.

I was waiting for the 241 all day on thursday to install it that night to make my planned trip. Turned out that UPS lost it. The company I bought it from sent me another that I received the next wed. Anyway, while I was waiting for the first 241, not knowing I would not get it in time, I had ordered new end yokes with the 1310 joints to replace the balancer and the 1330 yoke the 241 came with from http://www.reeldriveline.com/. They knew exactly what I was doing and had the parts on hand. Your other option would be to get the rubi driveshafts and have them lengthened, and install a crossover joint at the diff end to fit the pinion yokes. The joint is a 1310/1330 combo.

That was all there was to installing it. I bolted it up in about 3-4 hours taking my sweet time. I had to clearance the tranny mount a bit but that was not a big deal. Other than that, it bolts right up. The linkage also bolts identical to the 231.

I am without a speedometer now because my xj has a mechanical drive speedo gear and the 241 is electronic. There is a aftermarket company from my understanding that sells some contraption to fix this. My xj is a trail rig only so, not an issue. The newer model xj 97-2001 may plug right in. I don't know.:dunno:

There is a 4x4 indicator sensor on the 241 that will light up the 4x4 light in the dash. Not an issue to me either. The newer models may also have the correct wiring harness to plug into that.

One thing I am not sure about is how far down it hangs. I am not sure if it hangs lower than the 231 or not. That would be the only disadvantage that I can see if it does. Skid plate will fix that. In the pics I posted I left the skid off so I could get pics.

Over all it cost me about $1400-1500, not including the tranny rebuild, to install the 241. I already had cv shafts so that may be some additional cost to some of you. Overall pretty straight forward and easy.

The reason I went this route is the STAK and Atlas were way to much for me. Although, it would be nice one day.

The tera low would be about the same except in my case I would still have to buy a 231 case for the 23 spline input, $100-200, get the sye for it, $250-300, IIRC, and then the tera low was $1100. Plus, I would still have to break apart the 231 and install. I also hear the tera stuff is a bit noisy?

beefy case
32 spline out puts
1330 joints if you chose to keep them
wider chain internally
sye already there
4:1 already there
I can still get 80-100% of my money back should I decide to go aftermarket in the future

weaker case
no sye
have to install the 4:1
1310 joints
skinnier chain
after the install of the 4:1 it will be worth half what you have in it

If you have any questions, ask. I will answer what I can. Can't wait to use it.

Here are some pics of my junk that I installed it in.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/afd516/Jeep Cage/

Here are some pis of the case and yokes installed, etc.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/afd516/nv241or/:dunno:

Last edited:
Back