• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Lug Nut

lobsterdmb

Just a Lobster Minion
NAXJA Member
I have a 96 XJ. I went to go pull one of the front lug nuts off and the whole thing snapped. There is a tiny bit left on the stud but I cant get anything to grip it in order to loosen it. (The bolt that is under the lug cover is actually what sheered in half). Thoughts on how to get the remaining part off? I tried hammering a socket on it but all that did was round off what was left.

Had that same thing happen at a recent run on a Rubi...was a PIA especially with limited tools. They were able to finally get it by a combination of grinding the remaining lugnut (conical bit was all we had and couldn't get at all of it) and yanking it with a winch. :attom:

I'd say grind what's left of the lugnut with a small carbide cutting bit in a die grinder or possibly drill / grind the stud and replace it ayways.

well I drilled it out today and replaced the wheel stud..... took me about an hour and a half from start to cleanup.... I took my time drilling and worked my way up in bit size, using lots of cutting oil.

Back