• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horrible Idle

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
In the 5 months I've owned my 90 cherokee, the idle on it has gotten signifigantly worse. I've replaced the O2 sensor. That doesn't help. Whenever I'm in drive and at a stop sign the idle drops signifigantly and sometimes I can hear a rattling noise at the back of the car. Also when the car is in park it has started to idle rough. I look under the Cherokee and see the catalytic converter and muffler both vibrating and kind of shaking. What could the problem be? Do I have a bad cat. converter, if so, if I want to put a new one on, do you bolt it on or weld it? Could be some other sensor?

Check for vacuum leaks. Spray brake cleaner all over that thing.
Verify that all of the intake/exhaust manifold bolts are tight.

Mine was doing the same thing, thought it was the IAC, but it turned out to be the TPS. Runs great now.

Stand at your drivers side headlight looking into the engine bay. Locate your throttle body, the 2 device plugged in on the front, locate the one on the right, and that sir is your IAC.

Back