• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Front Axle

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm stuck with the dreaded LP D30 up front....

I've been debating on getting a HP D30 housing...re-gearing to 4.56, getting a Warn hub kit....doing the Teraflex High-steer setup with a drivers side tie rod flip, plus a new JKS style trackbar mount.

First...am I missing anything there...?

Second....should I just say screw it and go with a D44 front...? I have no welding skills at all (I know, mortal sin), so I'm still gonna end up doing a lot of work with that....

So then I thought...what would a complete Currie D44 setup cost...well, turns out they don't do HP D44s....only HP 9".

I'm thinking the 9" would be overkill for 33s....

Thoughts, opinions....

How much lift are we talking?Ive been running 6" on a LP D30 for 7+ years.

Just put rockwells under it and be done with it...

With zippo welding skills I'd say stick to bolt on stuff. You should go to 4.56, Warn Hubs, WJ knuckles, brakes, and beefy up your steering. Done.

JNickel101 said:
So I'm stuck with the dreaded LP D30 up front....

I've been debating on getting a HP D30 housing...re-gearing to 4.56, getting a Warn hub kit....doing the Teraflex High-steer setup with a drivers side tie rod flip, plus a new JKS style trackbar mount.

First...am I missing anything there...?

Second....should I just say screw it and go with a D44 front...? I have no welding skills at all (I know, mortal sin), so I'm still gonna end up doing a lot of work with that....

So then I thought...what would a complete Currie D44 setup cost...well, turns out they don't do HP D44s....only HP 9".

I'm thinking the 9" would be overkill for 33s....

Thoughts, opinions....
If you really want to give a chunk of coin to Currie you can check out a HP toyota 8" assembly, they seem to work really well from what I have heard, and are a bit less weight/coin than a 9", I'm sure if you called them they would be able to tell you the benefits/costs etc..
Good luck

Well, it will be somewhere around 6" of lift....i want to go with DPG Trailgunner springs, and an ACOS

Rockwells...um, no...lol

How is the quality of a Mile Marker setup vs Warn????

Ive never seen a Currie/Toyota,but Toy axles are a dime a dozen.Got one in the driveway.
bumper1.jpg

I polished the living shit out of my hp30. Sleeved, trussed, 4.88, arb, 30 spline inners, warn 5x5.5 hub kit (30 spline), WJ knuckles with flipped steering, all custom heavy duty bracketry, CTM's, tube seals, Crane diff cover, etc etc.

Build a 44.

cal said:
I polished the living shit out of my hp30. Sleeved, trussed, 4.88, arb, 30 spline inners, warn 5x5.5 hub kit (30 spline), WJ knuckles with flipped steering, all custom heavy duty bracketry, CTM's, tube seals, Crane diff cover, etc etc.

Build a 44.

haha i love it.

JNickel101 said:
I think some of the bracketry is different for the wrangler....right? Like the track bar mount?

don't think so...as far as i know the front ends on xj and tj are identical for mounting. tj's had the low pinion stuff though. the track bars are identical. I used an 04 rubicon track bar in my 90 comanche once.

is that considered a Low Pinion D44?

I guess i should have asked - does the Rubicon come with a LP D44 up front?

JNickel101 said:
I guess i should have asked - does the Rubicon come with a LP D44 up front?

Yes, the TJ Rubicon has a low pinion 44 front axle. I bought one for my wife's TJ and had it rebracketed for Right Hand Drive.

My XJ has a 'polished' HP D30 like Cal's, I ran short of money to build a HP 44 at the time. If I was going to start over again I would fit a pair of JK Rubicon axles instead. Yes, they are wider, and they are certainly not bolt-on, but I reckon my stock JK Sahara with 18" rims has no wider track than my XJ running 3.75" backspace on 15x8s with its HP D30.

With the JK knuckles set further outward it would probably be better running bigger tires on stock JK or WJ wheels as the 'king pin angle' would still intersect the center of the tire contact patch which would put less load on the steering.

My head is spinning with all the options....I'm so lost right now....

Back