• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on front LSD

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to re-gear and lock my axles. The rear is gonna be a simple Lockright.

I had planned on running an ARB in the front, but now that I am analyzing my budget, I am looking at revisiting the ECTED idea again. Only reason being that I can get an ECTED $130 cheaper...

My only real concern is running it in the snow. How have your ECTED snow experiences been? How did it handle? I am talking both on and off highway, as I daily drive and weekend wheel it.

alexer03 said:
why not do a lockright front? you wont know its their when your in 2wd

Isn't the point of having a four wheel drive station wagon when you live in snow country, to be able to run it in four wheel drive in the snow? ;)

4wd with a locked front end tends to have a less than ideal effect when it comes to driving in the snow in 4 wheel drive on the road. I'd much rather have the selectability.

I'm comparing characteristics of an unlocked ARB in front versus a switched off ECTED in limited slip mode.

will the locker in the rear be bad in the snow?

WheelinJR said:
It will probably be less than great. I expect it to make the Jeep very difficult to drive 2wd in the snow.

so is an LSD better in the snow open.

i would assume the opposite. i would expect the locker to help because open diffs spin the wheel thats slipping. granted i bet you'd have to be a little easier on the skinny pedal, i still think a traction adding device would help...someone with experiance chime in.

You're talking about lack of traction, which I am not too concerned with. I get pretty much everywhere I want to go even on one tire fire.

I'm more concerned about steering from the front end having both wheels spinning and pulling.

I'm pretty sure my Dads 2000 has LSD in the front and it handles fine in the snow. I don't think the ECTED could be that different.

lancey3 said:
i would assume the opposite. i would expect the locker to help because open diffs spin the wheel thats slipping. granted i bet you'd have to be a little easier on the skinny pedal, i still think a traction adding device would help...someone with experiance chime in.

Being open in the snow/ice is ideal!! With open diffs the tire not slipping will give latteral stability ie.. less side to side slippage!! With an LSD you will slide all over the place!! How do I know this....:eek: been there!!!! You can get by but you had BETTER be easy on the skinny!!!!!

Since I know what your asking, and a lot of people seem not to know, perhaps because they haven't driven in snow, and I know about this a little, I picked up a lockright for the front 30 off a friend. He ran it during the snow and said he had terrible traction and no steering when he had his foot on the gas with a locker in there. Full time locker in the snow=not too good. Which is why I'm going to do a selectable locker in the front. I don't know why people keep suggesting fulltime locker in front when you said you didn't want it.

As for the LSD, I don't have any experience, I would assume that it would be better than a full time locker, but I would assume it would have some disadvantages in the turning.

WheelinJR said:
You're talking about lack of traction, which I am not too concerned with.:huh:

You should be!! Traction is what gets you from A...............to .............B!!!:gee:

ColoradoRaptor said:
Being open in the snow/ice is ideal!! With open diffs the tire not slipping will give latteral stability ie.. less side to side slippage!! With an LSD you will slide all over the place!! How do I know this....:eek: been there!!!! You can get by but you had BETTER be easy on the skinny!!!!!
x2
Plus, locked tires tend to dig. If your in deep snow, be easy on the gas, and stay unlocked or you'll get buried.
The only time I engage a locker in the snow is on hardpack when I cant get forward momentem to get over an obsticle.

Begster said:
Full locked traction in front end in snow = no turning = no traction = "oh sh*t"

I'll report back tomorrow, there is a chance it might snow tonight. Like I said earlier though Ive driven my Dads with LSD in the snow no problem, I actually learned to drive in that rig.

Back