• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA's to do or not to do?

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short,

I have seen others and rode in my xj with up to 4 inches of lift with factory control arms, but I have never seen a definate answer as to at what point you "need" not "have to" but need to change your LCA's? 3 inches seems to be the highest point anyone sanely goes to on factory LCA's ...anyone

well the need or lack there of depends on your tolerance for ride quality. 3-4" is alright, but towards 4" it gets worse. 3.5" is alright. LCAs couldn't hurt though. It helps the caster angle, which affects ride quality.

Short answer is there is no definite answer!! It's all a matter of opinion.

I would say definitly anything above 2 inchs at least go with aftermarket lowers. Anything above 3" I'd replace uppers and lowers. Anything above 4 I'd have drop brackets or Long arms. Thats my opinion. Anything else rides like balls.

Also depends on how flexed up you want to get,Good arms are designed for extra clearance and even better arms use 3 diminsional joints so as not to tear on the mounts.

In that case, does anyone know if you can buy the Rancho LCA's seperately from a kit? Reason being their sales rep has given everyone where I work a 20% off deal for 2 days only. Trying to think of anything I could use, not particularly fond of Rancho but hey its a good deal............I have to have an order together in the morning but no matter where I look I cannot find a part number for the LCA's by themselves, not the adjustables just the Tubular replacements.....

good point, but wasn't going to take him up on the deal till I got home and started thinking about it

Rancho arms like some others,suck!They use a small diameter poly bushing that eats itself along with the bushing sleeves.If your going to invest in some arms,buy some good ones that you wont regret later!

thats good info, thanks....thought about just getting some WJ arms since the xj I am referring to unlike the others is my DD and I will not be going any higher than where it is...

Back