• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical woes

Serveck

NAXJA Forum User
as some of you know, my jeep is far from being roadworthy. however i would still like to have it working so i can use it in the winter if needed. upon installing my light bar everything worked fine. just recently i go to start up my heep and turn on parking light, and the fuse blows instantly. i have gone through and checked all the parking lights and those are fine, i took apart te wiring harness under the airbox and cleaned that out (pretty corroded), i checked up under the dash and could not find any shorted out wires. does anybody have any idea where the short is? I'm horrible with electrical issues in vehicles, they normally result in me breaking something out of frustration. thanks.

the lights bar is wired on a closed circuit, not even connected to the same grounds, and it is currently disconnected anyways while trying to figure this out.

the light bar is in no way connected to rest of the system, i should not have even mentioned it. what it is doing is: upon pulling the light switch out to parking or headlights the lights go on for a split second then blow the fuse, thus meaning there is a short somewhere causing the circuit to overload making the fuse blow. however, i have gone through each of the parking lights and verified each of those connections are fine, and they are. even when they are all taken out it still blows the fuse. so i believe it is somewhere under the dash, but electrical systems are a real frustration for me, so any help will be appreciated.

If yours is a Renix or even a later model, the instrument light dimmer has a bad habit of melting down and shorting out. On the Renix the dimmer gets it's power from the parking light fuse, then through the rheostat in the headlight switch then back through the instrument fuse then to the instrument, radio, clock and ash tray lights.

Back