• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking NP231J Xfer Case

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my 1996 up and running again. Before she blew up on me a year ago I was getting tranny fluid leaking from the xfer case and coating my back window and hatch. I have had the case apart and rebuilt and put a new O-ring on the speedo pickup. The only thing I noticed the other day was that the vent tube was not connected. Would that be the source of my leak? It doesn't leak out really fast and it does not drip on the driveway but when running on the highway for a while it makes an oily mess on the back hatch. Any other ideas where the leaks commonly come from? I've got a SYE on it and a 2 lo kit from TERA low.

no to steal ur thread, i also have a leak on my97 np231, it looks like from the middle of the case, gonna throw some permatex on it....

I used Black RTV to seal up the case after my rebuild. I let the stuff dry for a day before I filled the case with tranny fluid. Everything else on the case looks great. There isn't a oily spot underneath it except below the part that you can tell has a leak up above.

ah ok i give that a try, thanks and i dont think thats the problem but u never kno, id go to home depot and buy some plastic tubin and put that over the vent hose to see if it still leaks...

Back