• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

double cardan joint cup crushed

xjjk

NAXJA Forum User
I think that's what it's called any way. The cup that goes around the centering pin is smashed a bit so it's out of round- actually, it may be ground away. Is this something of concern or can I run with it after rebuilding the rest of the ds?

Rebuild it along with the rest of the shaft - why halfass a job like that even if it isn't a critical piece?

For the record though, I believe you better fix it.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Rebuild it along with the rest of the shaft - why halfass a job like that even if it isn't a critical piece?

For the record though, I believe you better fix it.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
that's kinda what I was thinking. Anyone have any good driveline shops in the Monrovia, CA area?

you can get all the parts you need to rebuild it at the parts store.
it's not hard, three u joints and the rebuild kit with the entering stuff.

Have fun with the spring and all th needle bearings.
Takes an evening.

87manche said:
you can get all the parts you need to rebuild it at the parts store.
it's not hard, three u joints and the rebuild kit with the entering stuff.

Have fun with the spring and all th needle bearings.
Takes an evening.

Awwh, horse hockey!

30 minutes. Nothing to it.

I've done it in less than that.

I use a big bench vise, and sockets. An extra set of hands is helpful, but not necessary.

Hale

Haleyes said:
Awwh, horse hockey!

30 minutes. Nothing to it.

I've done it in less than that.

I use a big bench vise, and sockets. An extra set of hands is helpful, but not necessary.

Hale
I was using a hammer and sockets, on a 20 year old never been serviced driveshaft. Now that it's all been serviced and reassembnled with neverseize I could probably do all of them in that time.

actually, I've done it before on my SJ, and already have it apart (socket method.... time to get new sockets!)
BUT... there is a little cup that goes around the bowl that goes around the centering pin. That cup is ground down to the height of the bowl on one side. I don't think the bowl is damaged. I tried to move that cup and it seems welded on. If I can replace that, I will, otherwise I'm thinking I have to take it to a shop.

Are you talking about the rubber boot that goes around the centering ball?

No, it's not rubber. It's a brass colored metal on the driveshaft side that looks like it is some sort of dust shield.

Gotcha. You can get a rebuild kit at NAPA. Sorry, I don't have a part number.

Hale

I can replace the cup that goes around the centering pin on the driveshaft side?

bassthumb said:
I can replace the cup that goes around the centering pin on the driveshaft side?

I think I'm confused now.

Post a pic, and we'll settle this!
:wierd:

lol this will have to do....
SYO%7Eus%7Een%7Efile=DE2396A.gif%7Egen%7Eref.gif

see where the arrow points? that's the metal cup i'm talking about (well, almost), and it's worn down on one side so it looks like it's at a 30* angle. On the XJ, where the ball is in this pic is the centering pin, right? That all looks like it's welded to the shaft.

I'd lube it up and run it.

Back