• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case drop

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
I know there was a thread the other day where someone was having a real hard time installing Rustys transfer case drop kit. I used to have one on my 96 before going SYE and I knew exactly what he was dealing with. You can get one side on and then the other side just doesn't wanna line up. It's off by about half an inch and a real bear to get in. I installed a drop kit on my 01 today and found a super easy way to do it and I thought I'd share so that if someone else is doing this in the future they might find it if they search.

After removing the 2 bolts and 2 studs from the cross member, I found it helpful to chase the threads out a bit. They are 10X1.5mm. Then I put one side of the drop kit in and just got the new bolts started. Then I went to other side. I used the factory bottle jack and turned it by hand. I held it up on its side and placed the base of the jack against the back of the lower control arm. I turned the handle of the jack so that the top of it made contact with the edge of the cross member. It didn't take much to move the cross member over just enough to get the holes all lined up. That's it. Nothing Earth shattering but I can't believe I didn't think of that when I did it to my 96. Hopefully this will help someone at some time.

-river

I used a rachet stap hooked to the crossmember and the rear axle to pull the crossmeber so the holes will line up

Back