• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission trouble

Jeepin_for_life

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my 88 XJ has about 180,000 miles on it. The transmission has never been replaced or had any repair work done to it. (the fluid and filter have been changed though) Around 40-50 mph the transmission constantly shifts between 3rd and 4th. Does anyone know what would fix this?

overdrive = 4 and tc lockup is different.....or so I thought?

Get to fourth gear, keep pressing on the gas and press the brake with your left foot. Do you see the RPM's change and go down while you are pressing and then go back up when you release the brake?

nope

if I count my gears from a dead stop it goes to three and if going flat or down hill, 4 which I think is the lock up could be wrong though

when I hit the brake is goes into trans brake or downshifts and my rpms jump up a little bit.

95 with AW4.

Your 88 should still have the AW4 for the auto, am I right?

It's a 4 speed automatic....and then TC lockup which is like a "5th gear" (not really though)

yeah I don't think mine locks up

4th is a gear, not lock up.

yes it is an aw4

my 87 manual says nothing about lock up tc, interesting.

sorry to jack you thread. if someone could pm me I'm curious now.

Hey Guys I have a 90 XJ 195000 m. with the same problem. everything else works ok just when you put it in OD at about 65 it shifts back and forth. I have 3 ? on other forums but can find a answer. I just changed fluid and I am thinking like some others maybe something came loose and was wondering if a power flush might clean it out. original TPS as far as I know. Thanks for any input

I also have noticed that some times when I satrted the engine it rev's up real high and sometimes I have to shut it off to stop it. Is this a indication of a bad TPS that may be a problem with my trans.????Thanks..

oldmanxjer said:
I also have noticed that some times when I satrted the engine it rev's up real high and sometimes I have to shut it off to stop it. Is this a indication of a bad TPS that may be a problem with my trans.????Thanks..

I have the same problem too. The tach shows that it goes from 2000-1100 rpms when its in park or neutral

oldmanxjer said:

Yes, that is another symptom of a bad TPS.

Back