• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lincoln SP 175T vs. SP 175-Plus

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
I need a new MIG machine.
Lowes and HD have the Lincoln SP 175T for $600.
The best price I have found for the SP 175-Plus is about $800, available at a local welding store.
The only apparent difference between the two is the T models have a 5-position output switch while the Plus has a solid-state, infinitely variable output.
Is the extra control and complexity of the variable output worth $200 bucks?

SP 175T
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e734.pdf
SP 175-Plus
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e735.pdf

In my experience, the infinite variablity is only worth it at very low settings. For instance, on my 175 machine, I wish I had a .5 position and a 1.5 position for sheetmetal work. Anything over .090 wall, it makes no difference, and you can control penetration with wire feed and weld speed.

That is the type of response I like; someone with actual experience, thanks.

The variable output control is what burned out on my old cheapo Italian MIG machine. A direct tap should be more durable.

I have had great experiences with my SP175T and have not found a need for the variable feed... using the 5 settings and a couple different wire sizes can do just about anything from thin sheet to 1/4"+.

Mine was reconditioned for about $600 so sounds like you found a good deal, buy it!!

flexy92xj said:
I have had great experiences with my SP175T and have not found a need for the variable feed... using the 5 settings and a couple different wire sizes can do just about anything from thin sheet to 1/4"+.

Mine was reconditioned for about $600 so sounds like you found a good deal, buy it!!

Got it!
Bought it at HD for $600. Picked up an 80 cu ft bottle and built a cart to hold everything. This morning I made a 50' extension cord using a 10-gauge cord.
The old 220 VAC buzz box can go back into hibernation.
Now its time to get to work.

Back