• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who here runs 35's on a D30

cloudswimmer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I know there are threads on this in the modified tech forums, but I wanted to get feedback from some local people who have or are running 35's on a Dana 30 in our So.Cal. wheelin areas.What have you beefed up on the 30, what have you broke, etc.My D30 is a 96 HP stock except for a Powertrax No Slip locker, 4.56's, and a T&J gusset kit, and I am thinking of going 35's.

Thanks.............Chris

just last week i broke off half of the teeth on the maind ring ger of the 30. i have a 8.8 in the rear. just dropped it into a lower gear when i was in 4 lo and POW!!!

Last weekend at the top of Jack hammer...
I've also wheeled Wrecking Ball a few times, Sledge, Claw, Devils Canyon before it closed and a few other JV trails.
35" Xterrains, 4.88 gears, PT noslip, Yukon Shafts that amazingly still hold up with spicer joints. Do I beat the crap outta my stuff... Yup. Ask those that have ridden shotgun at 70+mph through JV...
Keep in mind though that my jeep weights in at a slim 3000#'s which helps out alot. but I've wheeled that setup at 4k before I started the chop project.
but with 4.56's I'd stick with 33"s just for the gearing. 4.56's and 35"s isn't as fun.
JV_021.jpg

35's, 4.88's, detroit, alloy shaft, ox joints, knock on wood, haven't broken anything yet. Oh yeah, my rig is heavy and so is my foot :D

My 30 is set with 30 spline inner & outer alloy shafts, CTM joints, ARB, Motive Gear R+P (4.56), and a Crane High Clearance cover for added housing strength. I also have Tera 4:1. No Problems so far...... but i do keep it in mind that it is a D30 when i find my self bound up.

Gerr said:
Only thing Ive broken on my dana 30 while I had 35's on my yj is 3 tru-tracs but that wasnt the case till I put the tera 4:1 in
I'm still trying to figure out how that 4:1 makes you break tru-tracs....

While I wouldn't do it myself, but than again I'm kinda hard on my shit.
On that same note, I'd do it all day long on my CJ, and I think a 78 CJ has a LP30

Kejtar said:
I'm still trying to figure out how that 4:1 makes you break tru-tracs....
it has to be the extra torque they say 33's and stock drive line are the limit for the dana 30 tru-tracs. Im going a differnt route this time so hopefully it wont happen again

ok i dont want to steal your spotlight away.. but i am in the same problem but with the rear cuase on my front i have been running the detroit tru trac with 4.88 on 35" tires and i beat the cra out of it with no problems same goes for the rear that had the supiror super 35 kit that has the 30 spline shafts wiht the detroit locker and i never had any issues with those either wit 35" tires.. but now on my new jeep i have usa alloy 27 spline shaft in the rear with 4;56 gears and arb air locker has any one run 35" tires with just aftermarket shafts and grears and locker and have any problems with 35's

Kejtar said:
35's, 4.88's, detroit, alloy shaft, ox joints, knock on wood, haven't broken anything yet. Oh yeah, my rig is heavy and so is my foot :D

Have you forgotten the Rubicon Trail June 2005? And that was when you were on 33s. :)

I'm running 35" MT/R's with a 30, a little beefed up. I beat the snot out of it and havent broken yet.

It seems most 30 failures are either due to u-joint caps spitting out (stock shafts without full circle clips) or ring gear deflection (get a good strong diff cover to help prevent that).

Crane or Solid diff cover, TNT truss, alloy-usa shafts with a good u-joint, and use all spicer/moog parts - and you should be good.

35's with 4.56 does suck goat balls though, compared to 4.88.

4.88 sucks for freeway drving though.. and i have never ran 35"s with 4.56 yet i hope it does ok.. is there that big of a difference from running 33 compared to 35" anyone running 35" tires with the d35 rear end???

xjohnnyc said:
Have you forgotten the Rubicon Trail June 2005? And that was when you were on 33s. :)
for the purpose of this thread that does not count cause that was a post rollover crack on the axle tube that finally split from the weight of the rig on it....

pureaddiction said:
4.88 sucks for freeway drving though.. and i have never ran 35"s with 4.56 yet i hope it does ok.. is there that big of a difference from running 33 compared to 35" anyone running 35" tires with the d35 rear end???

You obviously havent driven on 35's much. 4.88 and 35's, and I cruise at 75 mph getting 19 mpg.

pureaddiction said:
anyone running 35" tires with the d35 rear end???

Seriously looking for trouble there. Even with super 35 kit you are still looking to have problems running a tire that big if you wheel the thing at all. Weak housing and small gears will still cause a failure.

cal said:
You obviously havent driven on 35's much. 4.88 and 35's, and I cruise at 75 mph getting 19 mpg.
Heck.. I drove 31's with 4.88's, 33's with 4.88's and 35's with 4.88's. None of them sucked. With 31's I drove no faster then 65. WIth 33's I could push 80. With 35's I could go faster but the rest of my jeep disagrees with that idea.

mattyj said:
Seriously looking for trouble there. Even with super 35 kit you are still looking to have problems running a tire that big if you wheel the thing at all. Weak housing and small gears will still cause a failure.
damn... I missed that part! (paint fumes must be getting to me). D35 and 35's is bad juju! Dont even THINK about it.

cal said:
35's with 4.56 does suck goat balls though, compared to 4.88.

I do plan on 4.88's myself, but interesting note, I have quite a few Rick Russell videos, and a lot off the Jeeps in em on 35's are running 4.56's doing some pretty gnarly trails.Anyway on those Alloy USA Dana 30 chromoly kits do I want the 27 or 30 spline version, and how do I tell if I have vacuum disconnect or not?Its a 1996

Thanks

BTT
I think he's asking about 35's on a dana 30 front axle.

Back