• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low RPMs then stall

TheHighHeat

NAXJA Forum User
Two weeks ago my Jeep kept stalling so I checked the battery and it was only at 10v so I replaced the battery and checked the charging system, it's charging between 13.7 and 14v, I started my jeep today and it ran fine for about 1-2mins then the rpms started to drop so I checked the charging system again and still charging at 13.5v, so I gave it a little gas and as soon as I let off the gas it stalled, started it back up and the rpms at idle started at normal idle and just dropped till it stalled for about 15-25 seconds, it would drop to around 400-500rpms then go back up to 600-700, if I put it into gear it will stall, I have no idea where to start any tips or hints would be much appreciated, thank you, Jamie

year? which engine?

Hmmm...could be a few things. i'd start with your Idle Air Control Valve....located on your throttle body. you can unbolt it and pull it out of its "hole" in the throttle body, keep it plugged in though. start up and see if your RPMs go up.

When was the last time you did a tune up?

Update, I pulled the IAC out of the throttle body and turned the key to the ON position, the dealer told me I should see IAC plunger move when I do that, it didn't so I pulled the throttle body off, took all the sensors off and cleaned it inside and out, I also cleaned the IAC with rubber/plastic safe throttle body cleaner, let it all sit for a while to dry, put it all back together and it now idles around 600 with ac off and 700 with ac on, no longer stalls

Thanks for all the help JNickel101...you were right on with the problem, I sure did have a lot of carbon built up on everything...

Back