• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan hitting the Rad.

Chero-King

NAXJA Forum User
About 6 months ago I put my clutch through the rad, and figured it was because my motor mounts were shot. So a couple days later I took the engine out to rebuild and do the seals, and while I was rebuilding the engine, I put brand new motor mounts in and figured that would fix the problem. Well I went out to check the oil today and noticed that the fan is hitting the rad again, it hasn't put a hole in it yet, but theres a round mark from the center of the fan. Whats causing it?

This may sound far fetched, but is the radiator sitting in the two alignment holes correctly(located on the front cross member).

Looks like you found it, I was going to tell you to check your harmonic balancer. The pully can drift forward as the balancer wears out.

90cherk said:
Looks like you found it, I was going to tell you to check your harmonic balancer. The pully can drift forward as the balancer wears out.

Actually I didnt find it yet, I was just saying that, yes the rad is sitting in there properly.
But I dont think it's the pully because I just put the engine back in a few weeks ago, and used a new balancer.

Could it be that I'm using a rad from a '90 in my '88 to get the open cooling system? Are they any wider? It didnt seem like it when I put it in, and It fit perfect, but I didnt measure to see if it was any wider.

Chero-King said:
Could it be that I'm using a rad from a '90 in my '88 to get the open cooling system? Are they any wider? It didnt seem like it when I put it in, and It fit perfect, but I didnt measure to see if it was any wider.

90's also had the closed cooling system, but in any case, a different radiator shouldnt cause that problem. people upgrade to 3 rows all the time.

-tim

jeepnuts311 said:
90's also had the closed cooling system, but in any case, a different radiator shouldnt cause that problem. people upgrade to 3 rows all the time.

-tim

Yeah i know but the one I took the rad out of had the open system.

I had the same thing happen to me in the high lakes. What I did to fix it was a electric fan conversion. Got rid of the fan clutch, pulley and mount all together. Not only do I pull more CFM but the rig runs cooler.
When I put the cluch into the radi I knew it wasn't the trans mount or engine mounts being that they had just been replaced with poly. The best I can fugure was the the flex of the engine compatment itself pulled the powertrain foward just enough to leave we spilling coolant:banghead:

Thats exactly what I plan on doing, as I just put the fan through the my rad. again after jumping it. Did you notice any more power with the electric fan? because I've heard that it adds a few extra horses..

Are you sure you have the correct water pump ? My 98 has a ton of room between it's blades and the rad. Are the bolts all tight on the fan assembly, not the bolts on the fan/fan clutch I mean the ones that hold the pulley to the pump. Maybe the studs backed out a tad...

i JUST did this in my jeep like 3 weeks ago. motor hit the radidator so i changed the motor mount and radiator only for it to get hit again. pulled off the crossmember and took off my tranny mount and it was in half. It's 30 bucks at cap. hasn't done it since

Back