• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checkin out an XJ today!!

mattylight

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been looking for an XJ:guitar: I've found a few, and I'm driving to go see the first one today. It's a 98 Sport 4 door, with 130k on the clock. In the pictures it looks very clean. The guy wants 3995. Of course its a 4x4 with the 4.0 . I'll be looking for the obvious stuff like rust, mechanical problems, leaks, damage, tires, brakes ect... Is there anything specific to jeeps that I should be looking out for (never had one, and know very little overall)? Anything specific to that year? I've heard of electrical ground problems, as well as cooling. What else? And is there any good way to test the condition of four wheel drive at a dealership? Its not exactly close to home, so I prolly won't be able to take it to a mechanic I trust...anyway wish me luck at least. Thanks everyone.
Matt

Just check for leaks around the engine, tranny and transfer cases. While your down there, try turning the driveshaft for play in the TC and check the diff's for leaks.

Put it in 4x4 for sure when your test driving it. When you put it in 4x4 and turn the wheels as hard as you can. If the wheel bumps back in you hand and you hear it poppin then your good.

My best advice...people who take care of cars, take care of the whole car. If it is clean, inside and out, then the services have usually been done and it is repaired when needed. If it is a trash pile inside, dirty carpets, stains everywhere, looks like someone lives in it, etc...then walk away. People who cant find time to take their trash to a can and vacuum their floors, seldom take the time to have an oil change, or fix things that break.

I see this everyday with my customers cars....dirty one come in once a year, while clean ones are in regularly for service.

I absolutely agree JohnX, clean all around counts for a lot. And I will check what Zac says too. How much play is normal in the Drive shaft on these babys? I've always had RWD, so I have no transfer case experience...Thanks for the fast responses. I'm leaving in about an hour, so keep'um coming!
Matt

check the fluids too....make sure the tranny fluid is red and not black or dark brown....make sure the oil level is good...stuff like that...

JohnX said:
. If it is a trash pile inside, dirty carpets, stains everywhere, looks like someone lives in it, etc...then walk away. People who cant find time to take their trash to a can and vacuum their floors, seldom take the time to have an oil change, or fix things that break.

I see this everyday with my customers cars....dirty one come in once a year, while clean ones are in regularly for service.

I think that's a terrible "rule" that you have. So you're saying that you would never buy a car from someone with kids. If you have kids then eventually your carpets and floors will get staind. Just because there are stains on the floor or the seat does not mean that the person does not take care of their car. I have stains on my back seats and on my floors and my Jeep is mechanically perfect. Thats a pretty bad sterotype.

kdailey4315 said:
I think that's a terrible "rule" that you have. So you're saying that you would never buy a car from someone with kids. If you have kids then eventually your carpets and floors will get staind. Just because there are stains on the floor or the seat does not mean that the person does not take care of their car. I have stains on my back seats and on my floors and my Jeep is mechanically perfect. Thats a pretty bad sterotype.

I agree. My wife's car is a disaster area because of having 2 kids in it 75% of the time, but it is meticulously maintained just like my XJ and Expedition. While that may be true some of the time, it's not 100% true.

Back on topic, feel the rear carpet for moisture, pull up the floor mats, look underneath to see if they hit it with a can of black spray paint to cover up rust (#1 pet peeve on used cars) test drive it with the radio off to listen for any weird noises. If they seem really eager for you to take it, be wary; they may be trying to unload something bad on you.

Back