• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get my trackbar reinstalled

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just put some 3" coils on and got everything bolted back up and the axle is almost an inch towards the passenger side, so the trackbar wont bolt back up. I have tried to push the axle towards the driver side with the jack, but it won't go far enough.

any advice?

plain and simple, you need a new trackbar... unless something is bent, the axle isnt off-center, its that the trackbar is now too short. with enough pushing by a few buddies you can reattatch the stock one but it will hold your axle way off-center.. but DO NOT leave it like that. prior research would have saved you some headaches..

i put 3 in lift on mine and my axle is still centered pretty good with the stock tracbar. set the jeep on the ground. let the suspension hold up the front of the jeep. have someone get in the jeep and turn the steering wheel slowly and you should see the axle moving side to side. just have them move it slowly till you can get your bolt back in. i had the same problem when i did mine but i read about that on here and it worked great.

chadd

chadd_raylee_389@h said:
set the jeep on the ground. let the suspension hold up the front of the jeep. have someone get in the jeep and turn the steering wheel slowly and you should see the axle moving side to side. just have them move it slowly till you can get your bolt back in. i had the same problem when i did mine but i read about that on here and it worked great.

chadd

bandaid fix... but it will get you on the road for the time being.. leave it too long and it will waste your tires.

Yeah, y'all both need adjustable trackbars....hell, even at 2" of lift (budget boost) i'd get one. you're just putting stress on more stuff by not having your body centered over your axle....dangerous too.

actually i did do some reading up on it before putting the springs on, but was told, and read on here, that people are running their stock trackbars at 3". Thats the next thing on my list though.

You also have people running blocks - and you'll see all kinds of people on here doing all kinds of things that aren't the smartest or safest things....just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD - and just because a company makes a product, doesnt mean its good or safe.

hey- to chime in here, is re-drilling the stock tracbar axle side mount ok, moving it over to use the stock tracbar? Or is there more hidden problems with that?

citRon said:
hey- to chime in here, is re-drilling the stock tracbar axle side mount ok, moving it over to use the stock tracbar? Or is there more hidden problems with that?

People do it all the time... And yeah it'll work most of the time.. But, a nice adjustable trackbar isn't a bad investment....

running the stock trackbar at 3" of height isn't the worst thing in the world.

redrilling a trackbar mount is OK but you should put a reinforcement strip on the outside of it, as you're taking away some strength by redrilling it.

I run a stock trackbar at 3" of height on my comanche, and the axle is only off by .5" to the driver's side, if that.

order an upgrade to an adjustable, but with the person-turning-the-wheel method you'll be fine for now.

to get the trackbar back in you need to get a buddy in the jeep and have him turn the wheel one way (i dont remeber which) but it will slowly walk your axle into place so you can install your trackbar

Yeah, save for the adjustble Trac-Bar. the 3" lift is like crack cocaine... you will want more and fast. The adjustable is good to about 5.5 to 6". It is sooo tempting to put on 35" tires with the 3", just a fender trim here and there and poof!! big Jeep ;) Dont do it!!! unless you enjoy breaking axles! or dive on the street and never on the trail. I made that mistake, 33's on my stock axles work just fine now.

Back