• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick noob lift question

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of installing front lift springs and i can't remember what i need to unbolt from the axle to let it fully droop to get the springs out. I want to use the spring compressor as little as possible. So what should i unbolt? sway bar, lower shock mount, trackbar, anything else? do i have to take off the tie rod?

I searched with a few different keywords but couldn't find exactly what i need.

thanks

sway bar, trac bar, shocks and depending on lift may need to unbolt LCA's and/or UCA's

when I put my 3" on it was first 3 and was replacing LCA so those too, 4.5" all the above.

do one side at a time, so you don't have to grunt n groan as much to get everything lined up again once the springs are in.

what size springs are going in?
to remove stock springs (my process, others may vary), jack up front axle, put opposite side on jack stand, jack up side to be removed with jack, remove wheel, remove bottom shock bolts, remove sway bar link, remove spring retainer, using factory bottle jack, put between frame rail and lower control arm, and jack carefully to open up space between axle and body while slowly letting jack below axle down, stock spring eventually pulls right out. install new spring. repeat on other side. took me about an hour to do, becareful, use common sense.

97CountryXJ said:
what size springs are going in?
to remove stock springs (my process, others may vary), jack up front axle, put opposite side on jack stand, jack up side to be removed with jack, remove wheel, remove bottom shock bolts, remove sway bar link, remove spring retainer, using factory bottle jack, put between frame rail and lower control arm, and jack carefully to open up space between axle and body while slowly letting jack below axle down, stock spring eventually pulls right out. install new spring. repeat on other side. took me about an hour to do, becareful, use common sense.
3" Rustys

bassfishinXJ said:
it may also be helpful to remove your brake calipers, dont want to stretch those brake lines too much

just undo the bolt/clip that attaches the hard line to the body and it will give you plenty of room for short arms

alexer03 said:
just undo the bolt/clip that attaches the hard line to the body and it will give you plenty of room for short arms
Not necessarily, with the shocks and sway bar disconnected, and any CAs if necessary, it can droop too far for the lines with short arms. Probably won't need to go that far for 3" springs, but it doesn't hurt to take out the two bolts and take the caliper off, just in case.

Now for "regular use", as a method to extend the lines, he would probably be fine by doing that, but not necessarily because of the short arms. Make sure you straighten the hard line, and re-attach it. You won't pass inspection a lot of places if your hard lines aren't secured to the frame/body.

On mine (for "regular use"), I relocated the hard line, and used YJ lines. The lines were still too short at full droop (and turn) with short arms. I'm using FS Dodge lines now, they are almost too long, but as long as you put the proper twist in the line, they clear everything. It all really depends on how much down travel you have, and contrary to popular belief, it is possible to get a good amount from short arms if everything is setup just right.

Last edited:
Back