• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is clutch bleedable on a 96 XJ ?

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hi,

I am having some problems with my clutch, so I am thinking about cheap things I could do - just to clear my conscience.

FSM does not say anything about bleeding the clutch hydraulics. Yet clutch slave cylinder has a small bolt on top of it with internal hex. Is it for bleeding or just for looks ?

Thank you,
Andrey

94-96 Are a 1 piece unit Slave and Master Sealed. Its possible to dissemble like you say but you can try to change one over the other, you should just buy the unit, comes with fluid already in it. Bolt up and GO.

I was having similar problems with losing pedal.

RyanM said:
94-96 Are a 1 piece unit Slave and Master Sealed. Its possible to dissemble like you say but you can try to change one over the other, you should just buy the unit, comes with fluid already in it. Bolt up and GO.

I was having similar problems with losing pedal.

$120+ for a new unit or bleed it for free...

I havent tried to bleed mine but it certainly looks like you could. If you're going to spend the money to replace it you may as well try bleeding it first.

600dollarxj said:
$120+ for a new unit or bleed it for free...

I havent tried to bleed mine but it certainly looks like you could. If you're going to spend the money to replace it you may as well try bleeding it first.
IIRC that hex is for something else then bleeding. If you try to bleed it you're going to just break it.

You Can't Bleed it! And were you trying to be smart??

120 aint shit. Replace the unit, one or the other will go out soon if you have any mileage on it.

RyanM said:
You Can't Bleed it! And were you trying to be smart??

I just bled it. The hex IS for bleeding. Switches like a charm now, never been better (I bought the jeep used).

Never thought it could be such an emotional issue.

Slonopotam said:
I just bled it. The hex IS for bleeding. Switches like a charm now, never been better (I bought the jeep used).

So did I :D . XJ 2001 2,5TurboDiesel. The only diference is, that the hex was damaged,
(probably someone before tryed to do the same) so i did a small bore and installed common bleeding bolt to the threaded part. Works perfectly.

owned haha.
Every jeep i've owned has been a manual. Master cyl never made it past 150K on all 3. If there is reason to bleed it, obviously the 'sealed' system isn't doing it's job the way it was designed. your gonna be bleeding it often.

RyanM said:
owned haha.
Every jeep i've owned has been a manual. Master cyl never made it past 150K on all 3. If there is reason to bleed it, obviously the 'sealed' system isn't doing it's job the way it was designed. your gonna be bleeding it often.

my has only about 85k miles on it. I had other problem - the retaining spring or clip or whatever it is - which holds the slave cylinder assy together - broke, so when removing the cylinder from the clutch housing it disassembled .

To be totally honest, it got bad again in a month or so, and I had to replace clutch hydraulics. RyanM was right.

Back