• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

push button starter help

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I got my push switch in and wired up but didn't get it quite right. As it sits you still have to crank the key and then push the button, pia. So I want to be able to stick the key in then hit the button, so which wire do I need to splice into? The red one? I have a five pin relay so I should be able to wire the red 12v in through the 30 side of the relay and out the 87a wire (center). Then if I wire the green wire to the 87 wire for the starter. When I hit the button the switch will have the relay switch power from to the starter and once started switch back to power everything else, correct?

Sounds like you wired the button and the ignition switch in series instead of parallel. You need to tap into a 12v line, either unswitched if you don't mind that you can crank it with the key off, or a ignition switched if you do. I'd definately use a relay if you use the switched portion, otherwise it shouldn't be necessary if your switch is rated for enough amps.

Sounds like you way over thinking this.

One wire from your Push Button to "Battery Terminal' the other to "Ignition terminal"

srelay.jpg

Back