• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Start then stall....again and again...

canadian_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a '91 HO. The issue that I am having is that when the heep is started and ran until warm, the rpm's will jump up and then the engine will stall. It will restart but only for about 1 sec then die. That will continue until the engine is let to cool for about 3-4 hours. This will keep happening.

The only things that I can think that would cause this issue would be a bad CPS or a fuel pump from what I have read in the forums. The only thing I don't get is that it only happens when the engine warms.

I have replaced all plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Fuel filter also changed in last 3 months. Coil also replaced.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appeciated!

I would check the resistor for the fuel pump. It is located by the drivers side hood hinge on the inner fender. Bypass it by hooking the wires together and I bet it will run. HTH

Is it possible for the fuel pump to stop working if it gets warm? The pump does make a lot of noise.

One thing I forgot to mention during the last attempt to keep it started is that I could hear the pump stop working right before the engine died. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.....

yes your pump can stop if it ps going and gets warm. my 98 wold run until i hooked up my trailer then die a few miles later until it finally just quit. my 91HO had the fuel pump go out also but it just up and died at the gas station...kinda ironic

After much searching on the forums, I believe the issue is my CPS. I have read many posts that sound similiar in nature to my problem.

My only question that really remains unanswered is where in the engine bay would one find the connector for the CPS?

Ok, I had the heep running no problem tonight. I warm it up for about 10 mins then drove it for about 5 miles then idled it for another 10 mins with no issues at all.

Does this still sound like a CPS issue? Also if it is the CPS, is one from napa ok?

I am in the process of changing out the CPS. When I went to remove it last night I found that there was only one loose bolt holding it in. I don't know where the lower bolt is. Trying to find a replacement. Dealer does not have one in stock. Might have to try the wreckers.......

Well I managed to get the new CPS in. It did not make a difference. I am still having the same issue. I have no idea what it can be. I don't think it's my fuel pump as there seems to be enough pressure at the fuel rail. I don't know.

I have a similar problem and also thought mine to be the CPS(still might be). Mine cuts off like the key is turned off rather than a slow stumble to failure... yours too or? Mine sometimes runs just fine regardless of warm up or cold. Once mine quits, it cranks freely without any catch, then sometimes will start for a second and then just shut off quickly again. Very frustrating!

It IS very frustrating!

I only have my issue when the bitch is at operating temp. Runs great up until then.

I had it running for about an hour the other night in the shop. As soon as it warmed up, the engine would race up and then hover around 200-300 rpm and then die. I would start it back up and it would do the same thing.

Changing out the CPS made no difference what so ever............

dude go to your local fastener store for the bolt. if the cps does not fix your prob. check your tps(throtle position sens.) you can simply un plug it hook a volt meter to it and move the throtle with the key on. your signal should get stronger with the amount of throtle and go back down with the throtle. the bolt is no your issue if when you let i cool down it runs again.

mjdavis31 said:
dude go to your local fastener store for the bolt. if the cps does not fix your prob. check your tps(throtle position sens.) you can simply un plug it hook a volt meter to it and move the throtle with the key on. your signal should get stronger with the amount of throtle and go back down with the throtle. the bolt is no your issue if when you let i cool down it runs again.

I got 2 bolts from the wreckers, but I dropped one into the bell housing. I looked for ever for that thing. I took off the inspection plate. I even jacked up the back of the heep about 2 feet to see if it would fall out. Nothing. I just used the old bolt that was in there before.

Back