• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my second problem with the jeep PLEASE help me out ( video explains )

definately coming from the head....did you tourque the head in sequence to correct rating? Kinda strange that its coming from the head in a gusher like that, even if the head wasn't put back in sequence or to the correct torque I've never seen it gush to that extreme immediately after filling with water,....I have one of mine torn down in the garage....be right back

......well I'm sure someone will chime in but to me it seems that there is a mistake when you installed the head, one of the water jackets is definately not sealed so if you Know the gasket is on right and the head was torqued in sequence to the correct torque...you may have some underlying major issues with the head.......as for your other post for the "no start" deal, I ask ...did you reconnect the engine ground when reinstalling eveything? I have made the same mistake and stood puzzled for a while until I realized what it was....as for the head maybe 5-90 will chime in with some text book knowledge

I think you should pull the intake and exhaust manifold off so you can see were along the head it’s leaking. Could be you had something setting on the block when you set the head down and didn’t notice? the head could be warped that much. Could be the rear freeze plug on the head ect
You will have to remove the head to find the problem so you may as well start tearing down
Why did you have to pull the head in the first place?

mgreen84 said:
......well I'm sure someone will chime in but to me it seems that there is a mistake when you installed the head, one of the water jackets is definately not sealed so if you Know the gasket is on right and the head was torqued in sequence to the correct torque...you may have some underlying major issues with the head.......as for your other post for the "no start" deal, I ask ...did you reconnect the engine ground when reinstalling eveything? I have made the same mistake and stood puzzled for a while until I realized what it was....as for the head maybe 5-90 will chime in with some text book knowledge

i dont think i ever disconnected the engine ground... ill have to double check and its very possible that the head gasktet was put on wrong but were pretty sure it was put on right. why would the water be coming out of the side of the head though? it looks like its coming right out of that last stud on the side. do u mea i could have put the gsaket for the manifold on wrong?

its been 3 years since I had an older xj but I think I'm positive that you have to remove the ground when removing the head.....can't remember which bolt on the engine it is attached to on yopur model but I know it will cause the exact same problem

mgreen84 said:
its been 3 years since I had an older xj but I think I'm positive that you have to remove the ground when removing the head.....can't remember which bolt on the engine it is attached to on yopur model but I know it will cause the exact same problem
There are 3 grounds at the dipstick tube hold down pass side, one at the rear of the head drivers side(braided strap). It is the chassis ground and nothing is going to work right with out that one. The head could be warped and need milling or the block may need to be decked if that engine/head has been overheated. The only other thing that I can think of is there may be dirt, debris, or old gasket on the head/engine surface some where.

I did not watch the vid, I have "Myspace" blocked on my router. I have teenage kids in the house.

tribal_4x4 said:
i dont think i ever disconnected the engine ground... ill have to double check and its very possible that the head gasktet was put on wrong but were pretty sure it was put on right. why would the water be coming out of the side of the head though? it looks like its coming right out of that last stud on the side. do u mea i could have put the gsaket for the manifold on wrong?

You say that it seems to be leaking from the exhaust manifold stud. Is it possible that you overtorqued that stud and cracked the head near the water jacket? Just guessing.

This is just a shot in the dark,but if your jeep has a newer head on it,they had a sensor in it for the temp gauge just by the back head bolt on drivers side.could be broke off or missing?I'm not sure what all years was like that,but 96 was the last year before they incorporated it to all in 1 sensore in the thermostat houseing.only other thing I could say is the head gasket didnt take or the head is cracked.

frank36 said:
This is just a shot in the dark,but if your jeep has a newer head on it,they had a sensor in it for the temp gauge just by the back head bolt on drivers side.could be broke off or missing?I'm not sure what all years was like that,but 96 was the last year before they incorporated it to all in 1 sensore in the thermostat houseing.only other thing I could say is the head gasket didnt take or the head is cracked.
Did you replace the head or just the gasket? I would say that you have a cracked water jacket Or that sensor is broke off. I would just pull the head and start over.
One other last thing you could do is to lets some highliters soak in water, then pour that water in there and put a black light on the back of the head to see if where it is really satrting from?

xjtrailrider said:
I did not watch the vid, I have "Myspace" blocked on my router.

x2, but I noticed you said its leakign from the last stud? Is this the front one or the rear one? The front stud is supposed to get lock tight or thread sealer (don't remember which one) on it because it goes through the water jacket in the head. Maybe there wasn't enough sealer on it and its leaking through that, there is also a different torque spec for that bolt, because of this.

The leak seems way too fast to just be missing sealant on the front head bolt. I'm thinking the temp sensor for the gauge is busted off. Otherwise, I'd say the head gasket was damaged or installed wrong.

I have to agree with everyone else, ground should have been disconnected. You need to remove the head (not as scary as you might think). The water leak should be evident on the gasket if it's there, either discolored or different consistency from the rest of the gasket.

If the issue isn't there, look at the CTS (coolant temperature sensor gasket), although that leak looked a a lot faster than that small hole.

If the issue isn't there, thinking back end of oil pan which means a lot of trouble. You're leaking out of your "cooling channels" for lack of better words. The channels of coolant that pass through your block to keep it cool. This is all just my opinion, but if it's the case, you need a new block and gaskets, etc.

Can't really think of any other place it would be leaking from, given the path of radiator fluid. Willing to bet it's the first option, or at least hoping for you as the oil pan gasket is really unlikely.

Back