• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft rebuild questions-problems

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
I'm rebuilding a front DS to use in the rear w/ the RE H&T. How hard should it be to remove and install new ujoints? To get the old ones out, I had to beat the living snot out of them with a hammer. I figured the new ones would go in easier-WRONG! I bent and broke 3 c-clamps trying to 'press' them in, and had to resort to the hammer and socket trick, and again- beat the living snot out of them to get them in! I've never replaced ujoints before, so I don't have any experience to compare. It just seemed really violent treatment for something as precise as little ujoints with itty bitty needle bearings in them, and I'm kinda worried I might have FUBAR'd something in the process.

Make sure needle bearings didn't fall out of place and are keeping the caps from going down all the way. Had a friend do that once and well, ujoints shouldn't be that hard to put in place. ;) Took it apart after he broke his bench vise and there were two needle bearings on the fact of the joint, out of place from the cap. Flatter than hell, they were... Roasted that ujoint and had to go buy another.

Take a deep breath, take it all apart again, and check all the caps. I usually check for burrs in the mounting surfaces and smooth any out with emery cloth. A little locktite helps keep them in place, too. You might need a little heat to remove them later, but nothing super difficult to do.

the right tool for the right job, sucks hearing it after the fact, but it still rings true. even if you don't have a u-joint clamp a good bench vise will work. much less likely to jar one of the needle bearings loose with a vise than hammering them together. also you going to be pumping them full of grease anyway (if greasble) so don't be stingy on getting your finger coated in it and slathering it in there, that will help keep the bearings in place while your putting it all together.

I hear you

Go to HF and get a joint tool (c-clamp) whatever you want to call it and you will love it I have one that’s a year old now and has done over 10 joint swaps and one round of ball joints, one of the best tools I have bought over the years.
Makes the jobs 10 times easier. .if you don’t have $30.00 to spend you can usually get them as a loner tool at the parts store but the deposit is as much or more so just buy one and you will never have to beat the snot out of another joint

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38335

Back