• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard starting?

gary69

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i was planning on building a big lifted XJ project a while back but decided to go a different direction and i and eneded up building a drag car instead (not sure if any of you remember me or not)....but anyways. 2 of my friends just bought some cheap XJ's for basic transportation that are a lil old and aubused and not in the best shape and because im the only one of my friends that somewhat knows my way around an egine compartment im going to help them get them back to a respectable condition. the first jeep is an early 90's (no airbags) but i dont believe it has the renix elec system in it. it has the typical hard starting problem thats getting worse as it gets colder... (10-20 seconds of cranking minumun to get em started on both jeeps) the other one is a newer XJ with the airbags in it so im thinking 96 possibly? they both have a 4.0 IL6 in em with auto trans. im thinking changing the plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil change, clean MAF sensor, PCV valve and a bottle of good fuel treatment, POSSIBLY a seafoam cycle. im thinking this should take care of the hard starting. anything els i should check or replace thats spaecial to the XJ? thanks guys....

I would definitely consider the fuel pump and sock if the crank times are getting longer in any weather condition. Had the same issue with my old '99. Seems to be the real issue without fail on the ever expanding crank times on the XJ's.

Not that doing the other stuff wouldn't help either, with the exception of the MAF maybe.

well the MAF was just part of the routine tuneup...i didnt think it would affect the starting....so ur saying i might need to replace the stock fuel pump? whats the procedure on testing them?

tbrunson said:
I would definitely consider the fuel pump and sock if the crank times are getting longer in any weather condition. Had the same issue with my old '99. Seems to be the real issue without fail on the ever expanding crank times on the XJ's.

Sock???

Back