• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum bottle behind bumper

azshtr

NAXJA Forum User
1990 XJ 4.0... As the title says... what is it? Can I plug the lines off and get rid of it?

Muad'Dib said:
You need to relocate it. This hold "spare" vacuum for your HVAC controls. If you remove it your HVAC controls wont work properly. Hope that helps.

He is right, don't get rid of it. Relocate it.

Depends on what one you have.... one will look like a ball and one is a pill shape.

The ball is one vacume retainer and the pill is a dual one. The single runs the heater controls and the pill is for the heater controls and the cruise control. On each side there is 2 lines. One is where the vacume comes from and the other runs to the object it runs. Easy to relocate. Search

vacuum canister

There are actually several diffrent configurations of the vacume ball. there are both single and dual line set-ups in both the small ball shape and large pill shape. Either way it is a must,

I had the single line pill shape in my 98 and when I fabbed up my bumper a searched my u-pull it and found a small ball in the single inlet configuration. If you remove it when you switch your heater/AC to vent from the dash to cool you off it will just blow out the defrost on to the windshield.

Hope this clears up your question, if you have the ball shape that's as small as it gets but if you have the large pill hang on to it until you find the smaller of the two, Later!!!

i have pulled mine in the past, and i found that if you plug it off with a golf tee, you can still have all your controls, just if you decide to go from one point to another in your heater controls, you had to turn the fan down to low so it would pull the shutter door. This was kinda anoying for me, so i just moved it up to the firewall on my 97

No pics, but I relocated mine under the hood. literally. used plumbers tape (metal strip with holes) and screwed it to under side of hood, between windshield res and valve cover. Not to skin of hood but to frame.

CherokeeXJ1996 said:
Hello azshtr and others...

What a good place to relocate the vac. canister if your replace the 1 or both bumper ?

Ron - :05of5:

I zip tied mine to the underside of where my coolant bottle rests. (90 RENIX just like the Original Poster) In this location, the vacuum lines running too it become significantly shorter. In my mind that IS a good thing.
Ill take a pic if you would like.

Last edited:
Muad'Dib said:
I zip tied mine to the underside of where my coolant bottle rests. (90 RENIX just like the Original Poster) In this location, the vacuum lines running too it become significantly shorter. In my mind that IS a good thing.
Ill take a pic if you would like.

Hello Muad'Dib and others..

yeah it would be nice to see pic

Thanks

Ron - :05of5:

Back