• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

live and learn...a brake story...

thebrick

NAXJA Forum User
Live and learn…

I remember reading on this forum a while back about someone trying to replace the rotors on their cherokee…but the new rotors did quite fit right…people were suggesting that maybe the parts store gave him grand cherokee rotors instead of rotors just for the standard cherokee…

Well, I'm not sure if it was ever resolved, but I had an interesting experience with replacing the rotors on my 2000 XJ this past weekend…

I had planned on working on my front brakes for a couple of hours this past weekend, so I bought all the parts I would need beforehand…rotors, pads, brake clean, hi-temp grease, etc.

When I went to get the rotors, there were two version listed on the parts computer…one was a composite rotor and one was solid cast iron. The composite rotor was about $20 cheaper. But one thing I did notice…on the parts list…it stated that the composite rotor has a height of 3 3/16 in and the solid cast iron rotor was 3 1/16…I would learn what this actual means later…

I did ask the guy behind the counter what the differences where between the two…he gave some answer about how they are manufactured different (well, duh) but either one should work on my XJ…WRONG! I took the composite rotor since it was cheaper and both made by Raybestos.

Well, long story short…if your XJ came or was made for the full cast iron rotor…the composite rotor will not work because it is 1/8 in too tall…when you have everything bolt down tight…the back of the rotor presses against the hub/steering knuckle assembly. In other words, it will not turn.

So, ended up taking both rotors back to get the ($20 more each) full cast iron rotors….perfect fit.

Just a question. I took my rotors (full cast iron) and pads off this weekend and was rather suprised that the rotor simply came off after removing the caliper and pads. I.e. there was no retaining clip or anything on them. Is that normal?

Luckily there wasn't...I noticed the problem when I put a couple of lug nuts to hold the rotor in place when I put on the caliper with new pads...noticed I couldn't spin it...

The moral of the story...if you can...take old part with you to compare with...

dutchjeep said:
Just a question. I took my rotors (full cast iron) and pads off this weekend and was rather suprised that the rotor simply came off after removing the caliper and pads. I.e. there was no retaining clip or anything on them. Is that normal?

yes, that's normal.

thebrick said:
Live and learn…

I remember reading on this forum a while back about someone trying to replace the rotors on their cherokee…but the new rotors did quite fit right…people were suggesting that maybe the parts store gave him grand cherokee rotors instead of rotors just for the standard cherokee…

Well, I'm not sure if it was ever resolved, but I had an interesting experience with replacing the rotors on my 2000 XJ this past weekend…

I had planned on working on my front brakes for a couple of hours this past weekend, so I bought all the parts I would need beforehand…rotors, pads, brake clean, hi-temp grease, etc.

When I went to get the rotors, there were two version listed on the parts computer…one was a composite rotor and one was solid cast iron. The composite rotor was about $20 cheaper. But one thing I did notice…on the parts list…it stated that the composite rotor has a height of 3 3/16 in and the solid cast iron rotor was 3 1/16…I would learn what this actual means later…

I did ask the guy behind the counter what the differences where between the two…he gave some answer about how they are manufactured different (well, duh) but either one should work on my XJ…WRONG! I took the composite rotor since it was cheaper and both made by Raybestos.

Well, long story short…if your XJ came or was made for the full cast iron rotor…the composite rotor will not work because it is 1/8 in too tall…when you have everything bolt down tight…the back of the rotor presses against the hub/steering knuckle assembly. In other words, it will not turn.

So, ended up taking both rotors back to get the ($20 more each) full cast iron rotors….perfect fit.

I had the same experience, except that I completed the job, and tried to move the jeep down the driveway. Figured it out real quick when it didn't want to move. :twak:
Oh well, I exchanged the rotors with no trouble. It is a pita with cast iron/composite rotor garbage. Lesson learned, bring the rotor with you.

Your shops parts listing is incorrect, or the doofus behind the counter can't read. The change from composite back to full cast rotors was made mid-year 1999. It's those who own 1999 XJs who have to pay extra attention. AFAIK all 2000s have cast rotors.

I used to be one of the doofuses, sometimes the computer information is incorrect, sometimes the vender information is incorrect. Many times the customer information is incorrect. Sometimes the doofus is incorrect. The best thing to do is bring the old part with you.

One more thing, I have an 01 Xj, just swapped the lp30 out for a hp30 and the unit hubs are quite a bit different as well. Was going to keep the old hubs and rotors for spares but then I realized the height difference so to use the spares youd have to change everything out together. So I just put my newer stuff on the older axle and she's all good.

Back