• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

killed an alternator..now wont run??

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

had a friend hit a mud hole behind my house the other day, and he killed the alternator. no big deal we figured. ive burnt up 4-5, and all was good after replacing it. well we got his on. and it would turn over but would start (being jumped), his battery was under warranty so he went and got a new one. now it would start (very rarely...1out of 15 tries id say) but would only stay running for a few seconds if you were on the gas. were letting it dry out tonight, and then going to see what it does in the morning..any ideas

how deep was the mud hole? did you check the intake for water or a air filter soaked and glodded with mud?

its pretty deep...and hes got a conefilter which was covered in mud. but we pulled the filter, and luckily everything on the insides was clean and dry. so no worries on hydrolock or anything right now

Did you check for water/mud on/in the distributor cap and plug wires?

its the year that didn't have a distributor. but i pulled some electrical connections apart and sprayed them with wd-40, but i think i might have found the problem. i was messing with the battery cables, and with the positive on, i went to place the negative on and got no spark. tried rubbing it a little bit and could get anything to spark at all. anybody know what this is. battery is brand new, so i know its hot

update.. jumpstarted it this morning, and it ran fine. i think that was just luck that the jumpstart started it. but it idled fine, and ran for about 5 mins. i drove it down the road, and it did good minus a couple sputters, then i pushed in the clutch to do a u-turn and it died. and went back to the same thing it was doing the night before. just turning over without trying to fire. and now the NSS in mine has gone bad and isn't starting...great jeep day

try the CPS. it's on top of the bell housing... if you get it covered in mud, it'll stop working. this happened to me.

I know it's an old thread... I just added to it with something else that may solve the problem... came up in a search.

Back