• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS won't come off, pulling shaft out too

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so when I came home last weekend and the Jeep wouldn't start, I realized it was time to clean the NSS.

Problem is it won't come off. I was trying to pry it lightly with the retaining nut still on, and then all of a sudden I heard a "Pop" and off came the retaining nut.
(This is not from mine) So I pretty much know the NSS is now fauked, the part highlighted in red is now missing, and the other threads are now stripped.
NSS.jpg

The NSS is out a distance, and I can move it, but the square shaft that is inside this part seems like it is siezed inside the NSS, and when I push and pull on the NSS, the shaft moves too.

How can I get this off? Is the transmission now screwed if part is pulling the shaft out?

Did you remove the 11 or 12MM locking bolt on the upper right area of the NSS ?
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
Did you remove the 11 or 12MM locking bolt on the upper right area of the NSS ?

Ya I removed the nut. I could move the actual switch, its just that the square shaft was coming out with the switch, and it was as if it was siezed inside the NSS. I just went back out and decided to f*ck it because it was screwed up anyways, and just screwed with it and pried at the switch.

Now my question is, this is what the threaded portion looks like. Dooes this nut that goes on here really do anything? Would it be worth while/will it work if I rebuild this one and then put it back on. Seeing as the 12mm bolt holds the switch on anyways, what do you guys think?
IMG_1585.jpg

Blaine B. said:
There's a nut AND bolt. You remove both?
Yes, the NSS is off the Jeep now, as I stated before. This is no longer my problem. It just while trying to take it off, that the threads for the nut broke, as pictured above.

What I would like to know, is if I clean the NSS, and put it back on, will this affect it at all, or should I start looking for a junkyard?

Begster said:
Yes, the NSS is off the Jeep now, as I stated before. This is no longer my problem. It just while trying to take it off, that the threads for the nut broke, as pictured above.

What I would like to know, is if I clean the NSS, and put it back on, will this affect it at all, or should I start looking for a junkyard?

what year is this thing...I might have one that I will give you..already cleaned and ready to go...I think

JUstin

yes there is, is it safe, no. I bypassed mine on my 99, but I am the only one who drives it. I found the info on here on how to bybass it. If I can find it again I'll post up. If not, you'll find it after a bit of searching.

Alright, so I just plugged the NSS back in and hooked everything up, and nothing. Now I don't even have any reverse lights. Still just a click from the solenoid from the starter.

What now? Is there any way to test the NSS to see if its working right?

It might need to be adjusted....move it till the rev lights come on, and tighten down the 12mm bolt.

Sorry, but I have one for an early model.

Justin

put it in neutral and jiggle it around and it'll start.

I did jiggle it, nothing happened. I just took it back off and cleaned a little of the di-electric out. I'll go back out and try to do it again.

If the starter is clicking then the NSS is working properly. I'd start looking at the starter itself.

lowrange2 said:
I've been needing to clean mine. Is there a nice quick well known way to bypass this wonderful device?
I'm working on making a complete bypass to not just start, but work through every gear with no CEL. My reason is i've got the thing stuck on there but dont feel like breaking it off so ill basically be controlling the NSS from in the cockpit. If youre looking to just jump it, put it in the N/P position.
NSSBypass.jpg

razdrvr said:
If the starter is clicking then the NSS is working properly. I'd start looking at the starter itself.
Yep, I finally got the reverse lights back on right after I posted that, and I came to find out it was the starter. Eh, the NSS could have used a little cleaning anyways, one of the contacts had developed a nice grove in it, so I sanded that down.

I had starter problems a year or two ago, and my friend had just parted his ZJ he had rolled over, and let me have his basically brand new high output starter or whatever, so now I'm mad its already crapped the bed. I looked, and I can move the positive wire around on the starter, the bolt is tight, but the metal screw is loose or something from the solenoid. Have to go to the zone tomorrow.

Your NSS probably isn't aligned. You'll have to play with it to be in the proper position so you get reverse lights.

If you are getting a click from the starter at all, the NSS isn't to blame. A) Your starter is bad or B) Your battery is dead........or perhaps there's a fault in the wiring somewhere.

You wouldn't be getting anything from the starter if the NSS was bad is it would either allow the starter to engage or nothing at all.

Yep I got the NSS aligned, I have reverse lights again and its fine. I know the starter is bad now, what threw me off before was the fact that it was only a year or so old. I'm actually on my way to autozone right now.

I just did the same thing to mine. It would not come off. I recommend PB Blaster for several days. That might work. I just gave up and destroyed mine to get it off of the tranny. I then wired it to work temporarily and bought a used switch on ebay.

Back