• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help: front end, radiator repair

BSH

NAXJA Forum User
I had a little accident, and now I need to spend money I don't have on fixing my Jeep. The damage was not too bad: grille & grille surround are ruined, bumper was crunched, and the passenger side bumper bracket ruined, radiator pushed back, almost knocking out the dowels from the lower seats, and leaking. No contact was made to the front of the engine, and the front cross member looks mostly straight. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the fans or fenders. Sorry, I didn't take any pics before I started removing the front skin.

This is a '96, 4.0, AT & AC, 136K miles, I've only owned it for two years.

Should I replace the water pump & stat, while I'm doing the radiator? Can I rely on a radiator pulled at a salvage yard, or should I spend the big bucks for a new replacement (I know the obvious answer, but my financial situation requires serious consideration)? Are radiators on '97+ interchangeable with the '06? Is my AC wrecked?

While I've got the thing apart, I think I need a replacement clutch on my AC compressor, but that looks like a far more difficult job than the radiator. Is this a DIY-friendly job? Do I need any "special tools" for a '96? Does anyone have a write-up of this job?

While I'm looking for replacement parts, how easy is it to swap '97+ front fascia onto my '96? Will the newer parts bolt right in?

By the way, if anyone has scans of the relevant sections of the '96 FSM, I'd love to have them. PM me for contact info.

TIA

you know, sounds like the damage is not all that bad and you can source those parts cheaply. as for the water pump and tstat if you feel its needed you may as well do so. and if you need to do anything else in the front as well while you have all that stuff off. for front end parts quadratec sells some parts in their oem replacement section. with mine i would just go pick through a junkyard and start sanding and priming parts. if the damage is as mentioned you got away pretty good. all those parts are easy to take care of and sounds like you didn not tweak the frame. could probably do it all in an afternoon.

Back